Chant rubrics?
  • tlelyo
    Where can I find a rubrics for using Chant in the Mass. I can read a bunch of books regarding notation and rhytmn and such, but I need a simple guide of how to implement chant in my parish. For instance, for Advent I'd like to start introducing the chant of the introit. So, how do we do that? Sing the antiphon, repeat, sing a verse (where does that come from), repeat antiphon, then doxology, then repeat antiphon?! What notes do we sing? What mode? Just not sure what to do. And also, what does "ps" mean in the middle of the introit? Questions like this I'd like to figure out

Pax Christi,

Tom
  • eft94530eft94530
    The post-V2 chant is executed using the following:
    (1) Graduale Romanum (GR), published 1974,
    (2) Graduale Triplex (GT), published 1979, layout identical to GR,
    manuscript-family markings from the 900s over-lay the square-notes,
    one above (black Laon MS), one below (red St Gall MS).
    There is no free online copy of the GR, nor the GT.
    The GR/GT is for people in the choir, or at least the directors.
    (3) Gregorian Missal (GM), published 1990,
    places the Propers in the context of the Mass outline,
    but there are missing details because it is meant for people in the pews.
    It is recently available online (25 MB, right-click and save)
    http://www.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf
  • tlelyo
    Ok, thanks eft however the Gregorian Missal is all in Latin right? I've checked out this link before. Plus it doesn't use modern notation. Is there something simpler out there?
  • tlelyo
    It's just frustrating that someone has to learn a) a new language and b) a new musical notation in order to enter into the mystery of the liturgy.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Looking at the above mentioned Gregorian Missal ...

Advent-1 begins on PDF page 165.
    After the heading and the scripture citation is the Antiphon.
    Above the large initial letter is the roman numeral which indicates the mode.
    The c-clef is on the top line, you note-name down (c b a ...) to your starting pitch.
    The first notes of the chant are: e d f g a a g ' g c c a g a ...
    The "Ps." indicates the start of the Psalm text.
    When you get to the bottom you sing the doxology (from memory).
    Then you repeat the Antiphon.
  • rich_enough
    The Gregorian Missal is not all in Latin - the readings and prayers are in English and it supplies English translations of the chant texts. It also gives useful indications for when and how chants are to be sung during the mass (pp. 7-48).

For a fuller explication here's a translation of the Introduction to the "Ordo Cantus Missae" (printed in the front of the 1974 Graduale Romanum) done by CMAA member Richard Chonak. Sections II and III should answer most of your questions as to which antiphons to repeat, etc.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26138173/Introduction-to-Ordo-Cantus-Missae-Graduale-Romanum

Hang in there - the learning curve can be steep at first but the consensus is that the chant notation is far better than modern in the long run. If at all possible try to join or get acquainted with an established group - it can be easier to absorb it from someone else rather than learn it "from a book."

And may I suggest that the Introit, though it comes first in the mass, may not be the best place to start? It can be one of the more complicated chants to pull off successfully. The Communion chant is generally shorter and easier to learn and sing.
  • dvalerio
    > the Gregorian Missal is all in Latin right

The Gregorian Missal has a translation of everything it contains.

> it doesn't use modern notation

Learning the square notation is fairly easy if you are at ease with the modern notation. But to begin with you can always compare the chants in the Gregorian Missal with the chants in old books (for what is now the Extraordinary Form of the Roman rite) containing everything transcribed to modern notation (five line staff, G clef, quarter and eight notes, etc.). You should take into account that such transcriptions assume some theories on the rhythm of Gregorian Chant that are not universally accepted, but that should not bother you too much in the beginning. You can find such books here (see in particular the 1924 edition) or here; then it's a matter of searching the index for the chants appointed in the Gregorian Missal for each day.
  • miacoyne
    You might want to start with simple Ordinary parts (Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei).
    Here is a wonderful website that has both audio and the score.
    http://antoinedanielmass.org/kyriale/
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Hi tlelyo,

As EFT outlined, the antiphon repetition between verse ("ps.") and doxology ( "Gloria patri") is optional and best omitted unless the procession is very slow indeed (think figure eights).

English introits are in Burgess and Ford. The latter is on 5 line staves, though I find Burgess' versions easier to sing. These and more are to be found on the Chant books link above.

We're planning polyphonic introits for this advent; here are my rough notes:

Nov. 28 Advent 1 A. Scarlatti Ad te Domine

Dec. 5 Advent 2 Populus Sion vii (chant, or Isaac) Surge Jerusalem
    Wednesday Dec. 8 Immaculate Conception
    Dec. 12 Advent 3 Rejoice in the Lord Alway (Purcell or 'Redford')

Dec. 19 Advent 4 Rorate caeli (Rheinberger, Schütz or Rossi) Ave Maria
  • tlelyo
    Hey all, thanks for your help this really is great!!!
  • tlelyo
    Are there any 100% English communio's? Richard Rice uses the Latin chorus, and english psalms.
  • Chrism
    Try the Ford antiphon with the Rice verses and see if it matches up.
  • G
    It's just frustrating that someone has to learn a) a new language and b) a new musical notation in order to enter into the mystery of the liturgy.

Although I know others here will shudder to read it and castigate me for even mentioning it, the Liber Usualis, which will have almost all of the chants from the Gregorian Missal, can be found in modern (5 line) notation, (though no English translations, of course.)
    If that's what you need to get started, or to ease other people into the whole idea of chant, it could make sense to use it.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    See also:
    "American Gradual" by Bruce Ford
    (English counterpart of the Graduale Romanum, in modern notation)

"By Flowing Waters" by Paul Ford (no relation to Bruce Ford, incidentally)
    (Liturgical Press)
    (English counterpart of the Graduale Simplex, in modern notation)

Both authors participate on the forum here.
  • dvalerio
    > the Liber Usualis, which will have almost all of the chants from the Gregorian Missal, can be found in modern (5 line) notation

The links I've inserted above are exactly for modern notation editions of the Liber Usualis (1924 edition at Lalande, 1932 edition at Quilisma).

> though no English translations, of course

These are (it's not a bad idea to repeat this once more) given in the Gregorian Missal.
  • I went to the site rich mentioned to download an unofficial English translation:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26138173/Introduction-to-Ordo-Cantus-Missae-Graduale-Romanum

but even after signing up, uploading two documents and doing the usual run around to actually get anything, I keep getting this message:

"This document is part of the Scribd Archives - you have to buy a subscription or upload a document to download it"

Does anyone have the pdf? I would love to have it on my computer, but the site refuses to let me download it even after jumping through all of the hoops.
  • chonakchonak
    Is anybody else seeing that behavior? I posted it on scribd, and checked the box to allow downloads, so I'm puzzled to hear it's demanding you upload something else to get download permission.

I'll try to attach it here.

(Incidentally, I was unable to upload the file here using Firefox, but using the Opera browser, it worked fine.)
  • Chrism
    Yes, I'm seeing that behavior as well.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    If you want to do propers in English, you might consider checking out the Palmer/Burgess books. They are pretty faithful to the melodies of the original chants, but in English. I purchased one of the volumes at the Colloquium this year and have used an offertory chant from it. When I don't have a chance to print up translations for the people, this is an option that allows me to put in a proper without all the prior work I normally do with my Mass booklets. They are in chant notation, however, so you'd still have to learn how to read the square notes.

http://musicasacra.com/books/plainchant_gradual_1-2.pdf
    http://musicasacra.com/books/plainchant_gradual_3-4.pdf
  • @ chonak

Yeah, it could be a browser issue. I tried to login using my Facebook account, but it kept timing out, so I had to sign up with a brand new account. I use a Mac with Safari.

Thank you so much for the pdf! =)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Thank you for the ordo Cantus. I just read Bugnini's comments at the beginning. "Therefore, this Sacred Congregation, by order of the Supreme Pontiff PAUL VI, has established that whoever conducts a eucharistic celebration in the Latin language, is to follow this new ordering in the
    disposition of chants pertaining thereto."

Ouch.
  • BGP
    Jeffery, Isn't it rather toothless since one may substitute other suitable music?
  • chonakchonak
    Following a "dynamic equivalency" model of translation, it would be:

"Therefore, by order of Pope Paul VI, you only have to follow this book if you're offering Mass in Latin and want to use the Gregorian chants in this book. Otherwise do whatever you want."