Solesmes method of Psalm Tones • Medieval Manuscript • GarnierAlleluias
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    It is always satisfying to see how closely Solesmes followed the old manuscripts, even in their method of notating the Psalm Tones.

Here's my own version. (starting at 0:31)

See how it compares to a manuscript from the Middle Ages and also the Solesmes books:

• incantuincantu
    This is great, Jeff. Do you have these paradigms for all modes? It might be fun to make up different text for each mode (a la Ut queant laxis) as a memory aid. I've not yet gotten around to doing that myself.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    thank you very much for posting this...interesting and educational
  • WGS
    I have one Liber with modern notation and Latin rubrics (copyright 1924 - printed 1947). In the front is a detachable sheet with the "Octo Toni Psalmorum" - 4"X6 1/2" - printed in Belgique - Desclee & Cie. In modern notation, it shows not only the incipit and flex for each psalm tone (primus, secundus, tertius .... (same paradigm as shown above for each mode) but also shows the incipit for the magnificat of each tone and even includes the Tonus Peregrinus with the words "In exitu Israel..." instead of the number of the tone. No "Differentiae" for the psalm tone endings are shown.
  • Chris_McAvoyChris_McAvoy
    Yes, these comparisons are most enjoyable and reassuring that we are using the original method of plainsong.
  • Chris_McAvoyChris_McAvoy
    I think also that there should be a better looking font available for the neumes that looks more 12 and 13th century. What you've shown is more 14th century style. I often enjoy the neumes which are less boxy and with less perfectly pointy 4 cornerd squares. Less gothic, more romanesque.