new archives of Caecilia
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    three new issues are up, and the earliest ones ever: 1930.

It is quite interesting to examine these. Lots of music too!
  • gregpgregp
    Check out the article in the July 1932 edition; "Seventy Years of Changing Conditions and Their Effect on Catholic Church Choirs". It's fascinating as social history as well as musically.
    hmmm, we could use many articles or posts or something that merely report on these issues. It is a strange thing to read them, isn't it? Like a time machine to a world we never knew.
  • ChaedatylChaedatyl
    Thanks so much for posting this. I am sure that I will be able to use some of this music for my EF choir!
    From that 1930 issue: "0nly a limited amount of energy is given us. Perhaps we would tackle the problem better by leaving off preaching the beauty, and all that, of
    the Chant, and beginning to convince the world and ourselves in particular by giving the Chant a chance to talk for itself. If we admit that its exalted mood of meditation and mystic calm and all that is a bit foreign to the hip, hip, hurray spirit of twentieth-century America, then the task of making Gregorian chant prevail begins where our vocabulary leaves off. The solution seems to be: less talk and more honestly patient work."
  • DougS
    Also note the ad for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati hymnal. Seems to answer the question of what leaders can do at the diocesan level!