The USCCB and its priorities: Can YOU afford to learn about the New Mass Text?
  • Finally, something is coming out that should be placed in the hands of EVERY Catholic, to assist them in understanding the new Mass text.

Here's the link.

http://www.usccbpublishing.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=1476

Are there no Bishops on this list that can explain the decision to do this this way?

This book if published by an on-demand publisher, like www.createspace.com, would have a wholesale cost per book to the USCCB of $2.17.

Having it printed and stored in a warehouse, the old-fashioned way, would undoubtedly cost even less, since on-demand is a bit more labor intensive.

Why would they ever not make it available as a free download? And sell it at cost? Or even cost plus expenses of creation?

And why, oh why, are only people with the $ to buy more than one the ones who are given a discount? The rich parishes who can afford it get it, the poor parishes do not.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    You know - if you wanted to get something informative out to all the bishops in the US, or departments in all the chanceries, you couldn't get contact information from the USCCB. But, when they have something they want us all to purchase, they sure can get the word out!

I am a proponent of basic capitalism - in the secular world. But I don't think "Save the Liturgy - Save the World" is going to gain much ground until the entire Liturgy, not just the accompanying music, is released from the secular-style marketplace. This is one of the key elements I love about CMAA!
  • newmanbenewmanbe
    @Steve:

They have a directory of the bishops, though the auxiliary bishops do not have an address.
  • chonakchonak
    I checked at a fine Catholic bookstore next door to the USCCB headquarters today: they did not have it.
  • Sorry, it's vaporware...isn't that the term for software that is being sold that is not available?
  • Flambeaux
    Vaporware is software that you pre-order that never materializes. This is due out come August/September 2010, about the time the workshops the USCCB is putting on around the country start. If this is the package I think it is, prepared in part by a friend of a friend, it should be solid, well done, and real. And, really, $12 isn't onerous for the target market, and that's the spot price. Diocese who order many copies in a bulk run will pay significantly less.
  • CharlesW
    It looks worth the money. The local bishop plans to hold classes before implementing the new translations. I understand he intends for the entire diocese to do the same things in the same way. That could be good, or bad, but I am hoping for good.
  • eft94530eft94530
    www.usccbpublishing.org [...] $12.95 [...] We hope that this parish guide will help leaders-priests, liturgists, musicians, DREs, principals, teachers, youth ministers, and volunteers-bring this new translation to life [...] Not yet published. Available Will ship on: August 31, 2010

This is a roll-out guide.
    It also claims to have bulletin inserts which would imply free photocopy of those particular pages.
    FCAP. Now we are done with Full. Here comes Conscious? I really do hope so!

frogman: EVERY Catholic

What (else) does it contain that would be beneficial for everyone in the pews?

Caveat emptor to all--unless Flambeaux can get more of a content scoop posted here!
    Borrow, or purchase just one, and read it before ordering a discounted bunch.
    If found necessary to acquire, ask your local Catholic bookstore to make the discounted order,
    or you can phone the parishes in your deanery and coordinate a quantity discount
    and work out the money details amongst yourselves.

CharlesW: It looks worth the money.

Eighty-eight pages for thirteen dollars. Like a disposable workbook.

---

If the implementation begins Advent 2011,
    what happens a few weeks later when the Christmas Catholics arrive?
    Does the guide address any music problems?
    One case is the Gloria: old text before Advent, no text for a few weeks,
    suddenly new text for Dec 8 holy day, no text for a few weeks, new text for Christmas and onward.
    I plan to use Missa VIII Gloria for four to six weeks prior to Advent.
    That is the only rehearsal time the faithful will get,
    and the Solemnity and Christmas Season deserve a sung Gloria decently rendered.

Personal experience (college freshman Autumn 1975):
    Music History Class. LP on the turntable. Score in hand. Mass setting.
    "Kyrie ... Christe ... Kyrie ..."
    (Mental "translation" efforts begin. I am glad I am Catholic. This is easy. Those poor non-Catholic classmates!)
    "Gloria in excelsis Deo ..."
    (This is fun!)
    "... Laudamus te, Benedicimus te, Adoramus te, Glorificamus te ..."
    (Hey, that is not how it goes, the wording and ordering is different.
    Where did that fourth phrase come from? But if the Latin came first, where did the fourth phrase GO?
    Wow, if I had done that six months ago in Spanish class, I would have failed the translation part of the exam.)
    "... Domine fili ..."
    (Huh? Now I have lost my place. Sigh.)

Pondering monthly the situation in my parish,
    I wonder how much of a dissonance the Ordinary translations create in the mind of the parishioners
    when they sing Missa VIII (de angelis) once a month at the principal Mass.
    Probably none.
    It is just a different text with a different melody,
    just like all the other different texts with different melodies that get sung every week.
    Cue Homer Simpson thinking video.

The dialogues present the difficulty.
    The last time "re-education" occurred ("after the Agnus Dei please remain standing")
    it took about four weeks to resist the pew-mate fake-out.
    Words changes will necessitate printed Dialogue and Ordinary cards.
    When do any such cards go on sale?
    And wouldn't a two-column Latin-English format be a great reinforcement of the texts?
  • The book costs less than $2.17 to print and bind.

Sells for $12.95.

Plus shipping and handling.

So, where does $10.78 go? The starving children in....?

To the designers and editors? Of course not, they get paid for their time and work and then get nothing from the sale of each book.

Why does the USCCB insist on making a profit?
  • eft94530eft94530
    Shareholders?
  • Flambeaux
    Noel, is your objection that they're selling the book at a market rate instead of at cost? Consider me a little surprised, based on our conversations about musician compensation at the Colloquium. I don't begrudge the USCCB trying to make money in this way. I loathe the organization, and I think Jeff is right to beat the drum with regard to sacred texts (Scripture, Psalms, Missal, etc.). But I'm not on the barricades when it comes to this publication.

I'll ask my friend and see if I can get some more hearsay color on this thing.
  • CharlesW
    If you are willing to wait a bit, they will be available on Amazon for $2.00 if that much.
  • Yes. Why should a document that they consider essential to their cause be...not available as a free download. And in printed form at cost?

Unless they are truly a business and not a church.

Free download, free download....
  • chonakchonak
    Come to think of it, the USCCB, to its credit, has set up some materials on a web site for the use of the faithful and the clergy.

That may prove as valuable as the 88-page book; perhaps more.