Music Theory Dare
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I dare you to find the 2-1 suspension in THIS SCORE, from the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C.

I don't usually use 2-1 suspensions. Actually, I almost never do. Hopefully it works in this score.

Taken from: Free Responsorial Psalms: 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C

. . . where you'll find eight settings of this Psalm . . . all of them free!
  • I see something to that effect in the last measture of C. But it resolves upward, so maybe I'm not seeing it yet.
  • If it resolves upward, it's technically a retardation, not a suspension. If you'll accept a 9-8 suspension for an answer, there's one hidden going from any verse into the beginning of C.

I think I'll stand with that answer, but this is going to bother me all day until I'm sure. Thanks for the exercise!

EDIT: There's another 9-8 in the middle of verse 4, which is a much more traditional suspension since it's in the same voice. It's at the end of the second phrase. I can't find any strict 2-1 suspensions anywhere.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Answer: "done for me" on PDF page 2, verse 4 ---- dm 2-1

I couldn't resist writing that 2-1, because I think it is gorgeous!!! A little "schmaltzy" perhaps, but I like it.