Dan Schutte: Prepare the Way workshops
  • Ummm... not sure there is any evidence that either Liszt or Mozart were homosexuals. I would be curious to know where you have heard this. I agree, however, that it doesn't matter when using their music for the liturgy. God has worked great miracles through lesser vessels than these.
  • CharlesW
    Everything I have read indicated Liszt was a notorious womanizer.
  • Big distinction- Schutte is alive and teaching (warped ecclesiology is one example) in his presentations, as well as the texts of his music. None of that is true for the other men mentioned.

They are not living to teach or to give scandal, and in so much as the texts of their music conform to liturgical texts, they cannot present a danger to the faithful when used in sacred liturgy.

*If* Scutte is living in open contradiction to the teachings of the Church, he should not be given a teaching platform in his presentations or orginal (non-liturgical) texts. This means scandal and error for the faithful, and on these grounds I would agree with any pastor who would take this stand. Even more, I would be grateful for him.
  • CharlesW

Liszt gets that reputation for some reason, but he was actually very faithful to the woman who left her husband for him! In any case, he took holy orders later in life and most of his religious music comes from his time as a priest in Rome.
  • DougS
    The womanizing reputation comes from the Liszt-o-Mania in Paris and elsewhere in the 1840s, but as Michael pointed out, his private life was different. Think Beatlemania or Bieber fever.
  • CharlesW
    Interesting. However, I have never read anything implying Liszt was homosexual. Some of his religious music is very nice, and I have used it.

I think MA, Singing Mum, hit the nail on the head. Neither Liszt nor other composers referenced, are alive spreading error to the faithful.
  • dad29
    Liszt or Mozart were homosexuals

There is no evidence for that --but that's not what I said, either.

"MORAL" life is not restricted to same-sex preferences. Drugs, dames,--there's a wide gamut.

As to not missing Mozart--well, YOU tell folks that the "Ave Verum" is on the black-list. I won't.
  • dad29
    and in so much as the texts of their music conform to liturgical texts, they cannot present a danger to the faithful when used in sacred liturgy.

Not to be too picky, but if I set John 8:16 (e.g.) to the melody of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" would that make it 'useable in sacred liturgy'?

Please remember that the music must illuminate the text AND be structurally faithful to principles of the art of music, not merely passable.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If I Judge

If I judge then I am right,
    I am right, I am right
    If I judge then I am right,
    for Pops and me are tight.

Text: ©2010 Adam Wood; based on Jn 8:16
    Tune: MARY'S LAMB; Lowell Mason, 1792-1872

Not incidentally, Lowell Mason compiled a successful hymnal based on European classical music, served as choir master at Boston's Park Street Church (next door to my last parish!), adapted the tune for "Joy to the World," and was, according to Wikipedia, one of the first champions of congregational singing in American Christianity.
  • Donnaswan
    And he published music books for children. I had one in grade school a hundred years ago. LOL
  • DougS
    ...and tried to stamp out early indigenous American psalmody.
  • Donnaswan
    I didn't know that. Interesting. I'm going to look him up and learn more.
  • DougS
    Yes, painting very broad strokes here, but he believed American music from around the turn of the century was unlearned and unworthy of churches. Hence his importation, collection, and arrangement of European music.

Wikipedia, incidentally, also lists him as the founder of the Boston Academy of Music, and if you click on that, it says merely that the BAM was one of the first institutes of higher musical education in the U.S. That's only a very small part of the story. The BAM was in essence a choral society whose chief aim was to bring the great music of Europe to Boston audiences, and thence to inspire great music and singing in churches. After a few years, the BAM transformed itself into one of the nation's first standing (and relatively longstanding) orchestras and promoted the German canon of symphonic repertoire, almost to the exclusion of all else.

Lowell Mason's entire career was devoted to "elevating" musical "taste" in this country, but he fell into a postcolonial trap, if you will, of imported taste.

I won't name any names, but there are many Lowell Masons today--those who look anywhere but home for "worthy" musical expressions.
  • CharlesW
    "I won't name any names, but there are many Lowell Masons today--those who look anywhere but home for "worthy" musical expressions."

You got that right!!
  • Donnaswan
    I always thought of him, without really knowing, that he was prolly a Presbyterian or Methodist.
    Incidentally, I did a lecture Recital on the vocal music of Mrs. AA Beach, as she preferred to be called, as part of fulfillment for a BM
  • Donnaswan
    And one should read that two volume bio of Liszt by Alan Walker. Am I remembering his name correctly? I'm sure Doug will know. I am talking after a bottle of wine and Limoncello afters. LOL
  • G
    teaching (warped ecclesiology is one example) in his presentations

I would be interested in examples of this.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • DougS
    Haha yes, Donna, despite its flaws, the Walker is the definitive Liszt bio.
  • Donnaswan
    Doug, I am a sucker for a 1000 pg bio. LOL Currently, I'm plowing through one on W. Somerset Maugham by Selina Hastings which is almost 600 pgs. which has 60 pgs of footnotes . 'The Secret Lives of Somerset Maugham.' (of course, nothing to do with CMAA, but since I will not have a job in four days, matters not.) I'm not sure why I am still on here.
  • withdrawn
  • Amen
  • DougS
    To be fair to the person who brought up homosexuality, he was stating that his own priest refuses to have Schutte's music sung in Mass because he believes Schutte lives an openly homosexual lifestyle. Biases, stereotypes, prejudice, and other value judgments are part and parcel of dealing with people in the world, and clearly this person has run up against the question of sexuality in musical planning. If beliefs about a person affect musical decisions, then I think the question is at least worth considering. It is only the mere speculation about someone's sexuality that doesn't really belong on this forum, but I didn't read anything like that.
  • CharlesW
    The speculation wasn't here, just a reason given why a priest refuses to use Schutte's music. A pretty good reason, I think. You have to remember, we belong to a church which has definite teachings on this subject. Those teachings are not options or opinions, but doctrine. I know, the politically correct crowd never wants a spade called a spade, or a shovel labelled as a shovel. Too bad about that. I run into this same type of thing every year when I renew my AGO membership. They have a code of "ethics" that accepts everything under the sun except traditional Christianity. That's not suprising, given that the organization is dominated by liberal Protestantism. I refuse to sign it. Of course, the hypocrites always take my money - so much for their "ethics." The Catholic Church has always discriminated, based on its apostolic teachings. Some things are wrong and a scandal to others. That's just the way it is, regardless of what the world thinks.
  • dad29
    Well, Charles...

I don't know that it's quite as simple as saying 'he/she has a tragic flaw, ergo we won't use his/her music/art/architecture.'

Using the works of X, Y, or Z is not the same as admiring (or even approving of) their lifestyle. For that matter, attending a Mass celebrated by Rembert Weakland does not constitute approval of his lifestyle, either.

I think you're making a category-error.

And, by the way, it seems that many people who have a 'lifestyle' problem are also exceptionally talented. You would be amazed at how many doctors & lawyers are drug- or alcohol-addicts. Does that make their work unacceptable? (Yes, in SOME cases.)

I do not doubt Thomas Aquinas' dictum that 'sin darkens the mind.' That's a problem for the sinner.

But the work they leave behind--assuming it meets established criteria for excellence--that's another thing entirely.
  • Here we go again.
  • CharlesW
    But what's the point in enriching someone who holds to beliefs and practices that undermine the teachings of the Church? Did anyone ever say that people get to heaven because they are exceptionally talented? What about the example those lifestyle problems present to others? At what point do we say that we stand for Church teachings and that they are not negotiable? As for Weakland, let's not go there.
  • withdrawn
  • CharlesW
    What subject did he teach? I understand he was/is a talented musician. But he seems to have trashed his own name in recent times.
  • francis
    I have given my take on this issue more than once. Names need not be mentioned in addressing the ethics of this issue.
  • dad29
    Charles, art work is one thing.

The life of the artist is another thing, separate entirely.

Further, scandal per se does not "undermine" the teaching of the Church. Only arguing AGAINST the teaching of the Church does so (if at all.)

Excellent art does not "undermine" Church teaching. In fact, it can easily be argued that excellent art leads to more, not less, knowledge of God.

And I used the name of RW as an example. I live in Milwaukee. I'm entitled.
  • CharlesW
    Yes, you are entitled. I have heard the people of Milwaukee suffered under his tenure.

I would agree that an individual can produce excellent art, and that this art has merit. The value attached to that art will always vary with changing times and tastes.

Here is where I have a problem. An individual who publicly lives a life contrary to Church teachings, has no business travelling around the country holding workshops on liturgy and worship. He's a bad example, creates scandal, and is a living contradiction to the beliefs and teachings of the Catholic Church. His art may be excellent, but his example is not. He professes to speak for a religion that he, in essence, doesn't believe or practice. Yes, I do have a problem with that.
  • There are other composers of "Catholic" music that "don't believe or practice" the faith, as CharlesW states. I think we can all think of other contemporaries.

http://insidecatholic.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3286&Itemid=80

Yet, people don't seem to have a problem with it when they do this music.
  • Think about all those men who made church art and sculpture. What do we know about them? If the art supports the teachings of the Church and is of a high quality, we should understand that God works with imperfect vessels at times. If someone lets their contra-ecclesial ideas into the work, it won't find a place in the Church (well, for long).
  • JamJam
    This could become an interesting discussion about artistic criticism, actually. At what point does the art separate from the artist and gain a life of its own? Is understanding the artist relevant in any way to understanding the art? In literary crit. circles, the debate rages on. I tend toward the New York School (the art has a life of its own and should be evaluated on its own merits) myself.

I do think that CharlesW and the others are talking about two different things, though. It is one thing to use the music, sculpture, poetry, and art created by imperfect and even critically flawed people, if the art escapes contamination with those flaws. There have been many brilliant writers and artists with vices equal to their virtues or worse. CharlesW is talking about a living person, however, who is putting himself up as an authority on things Catholic, but does not himself adhere to Catholic teaching. It's not just his music that we're encouraged to accept, it's his advice, his opinion on things. He's holding workshops and acting as a spokesperson for an institution that he is not truly a spokesperson for. There's where the trouble is.

If I misunderstand, let me know. I personally believe that once a piece of art is complete, it lives on its own and the author's intentions for and opinions on it are no longer relevant. Real art transcends time and place and authorship. Ergo, no matter how awful an author is as a person, it is possible he can create a masterpiece. Highly unlikely, perhaps--but possible. It's an entirely different story to take a hypocrite for an authority figure.
  • CharlesW
    Exactly, Jam. You said it better than I did. I am not talking about his art, which some would hold to have merit, others not.

It's as you said, "It's not just his music that we're encouraged to accept, it's his advice, his opinion on things. He's holding workshops and acting as a spokesperson for an institution that he is not truly a spokesperson for." And also, "It's an entirely different story to take a hypocrite for an authority figure." In other words, he doesn't walk the walk, so he needs to shut up and stop talking the talk.
  • "I personally believe that once a piece of art is complete, it lives on its own and the author's intentions for and opinions on it are no longer relevant. "

Well... if that be true, then all of Bach's efforts to incorporate the essence of Lutheran theology in his music were for naught. There are degrees of meaning in every work. A composer's intentions are quite important for analysis and for hermeneutics, but intentions are only those. There are aspects outside of the composer's control that are just as important to take into consideration. A composer's abilities greatly influence the effect of those intentions and historical, artistic, and institutional contexts all have bearing on the reception of the work. Then there is the changing landscape of all those contexts as time marches on. Each generation must evaluate a work for its acceptability and effectiveness. In the case of Mr. Haugen we have a new phenomenon -- the artist who also openly promotes doctrine while promoting his work. In previous ages, artists let their music speak for the most part. If they needed promotion, they let others do that. Reminds me of the good old days when politicians thought it unseemly to campaign on their own behalfs. In any case, Mr Haugen, through his self promotion begs to be held to a different standard IMO.
  • IanWIanW
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the short cut to assessment of what a religious individual or organisation is trying to sell you is the cheesiness of the photo in the publicity material.

Have a look again at that photo near the top of the thread. Then check out this oleaginous grin, and this one, and tell me if I'm wrong.
  • JamJam
    "Well... if that be true, then all of Bach's efforts to incorporate the essence of Lutheran theology in his music were for naught."

well, not necessarily. If the art clearly speaks Lutheran theology to people who had no idea that Bach meant for it to, then he would have succeeded in that arena. I mostly agree with what you're saying, as it's a more moderated view of the issue, but I tend toward an extreme view for discussion's and simplicity's sake.

+1 to IanW for using the word "oleaginous" in a post
  • Everything I have read indicated Liszt was a notorious womanizer.

I heard a sermon which talked about Liszt's life, and he was a womanizer. But that's not the end of the story (according to a sermon I heard). He had a Jewish-born prodigy as a pupil. This pupil eventually became a priest, and led Liszt back to a life a repentance and holiness. Late in life Liszt wrote many Marian hymns.
    Deo Gratias!
    Also--according to this sermon--this priest was able to lead his mother into the church right at the hour of death.

-M
  • Jam, Bach's close attention to Lutheran ideology at times was likely lost on a St Thomas congregation, but there are other times where he is quite plain. IIRC he even keeps some of it intact in his Bm Mass, since it began on the foundation of a Lutheran Mass (Kyrie-Gloria). No doubt he took great satisfaction in this. Music like this rewards close inspection of theological points. I was addressing the point of a composer's intention, and subtle intentions are as relevant as obvious ones, I think. Anyway, that's just my look at it.
  • JamJam
    The intentions are relevant if they're in the art, imho, whether subtle or overt. Instead of talking about author intention, we shift to talk about the meaning and proper interpretation of the art itself. It is possible for a writer to mean something but write something entirely different... a good, if crude, example is when an innocent author intends to write an innocent piece and accidentally sets his characters up in sexually suggestive positions and situations. The author's innocence is relevant only if we wish to exonerate him; the art itself remains sexually suggestive regardless. Likewise with Bach. If the art itself suggests Lutheran ideology, even if it is very subtle, it is there and must be dealt with. If the art doesn't really suggest anything that is uniquely Lutheran, then Bach failed if he intended for it to. And I don't suppose anyone would find it objectionable to use such a work at a Catholic Mass, since it in no way contradicts Catholic teaching.

Essentially I still think the argument should be focused on the art itself rather than the composer, as long as we're talking about whether something is appropriate to use at Mass. When we change to start talking about historical/literary/artistic criticism, or whether a certain person should be considered an authority in something, the distinction is not so clear.
  • This why not heeding Noel's advice can backfire upon us.

http://catholicsensibility.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/cmaa-adventures/
  • CharlesW
    And who is this person behind that blog, and why should any of us care what he thinks? My suspicion is that he might find something to complain about in Heaven. However, what is his contribution to authentic sacred music? I ask that not as a criticism, but for my own information.
  • Hi Jam, I can appreciate your argument, but I don't think I can divorce the entire contextual fabric. That road leads to hearing what one wants to hear, rather than what is there. You are right, the composer's intent is neither paramount nor the only issue, but it cannot be dismissed entirely, which brings us back to your original desire (i.e., dismissing intent for effect). I just can't do that. One may be more compelling, but neither can be ignored. In the case of Bach, one must be careful about employing his music at Mass. It can be done, but this is why we need thoughtful, educated musicians in charge of Catholic music (and I include you in that category, to be sure). Music is a powerful thing and its power is often wielded carelessly.
  • dad29
    CharlesW is talking about a living person, however, who is putting himself up as an authority on things Catholic, but does not himself adhere to Catholic teaching. It's not just his music that we're encouraged to accept, it's his advice, his opinion on things. He's holding workshops and acting as a spokesperson for an institution that he is not truly a spokesperson for. There's where the trouble is.

We can all agree on that. (Personally, I'd never use his music for anything, anyway.)

My argument was with the contention that 'the artist' contaminates 'the art'--a position with which I disagree. I don't think that Schutte's stuff is art in the first place.
  • dad29
    In the case of Bach, one must be careful about employing his music at Mass. It can be done

There are lots of chorales which are use-able, but perhaps best placed before or after Mass. Same with most of the organ music. But yes, one should review the text for assertions which are un-Catholic.
  • CharlesW
    dad29, I agree.

One thing that makes those Bach chorale preludes useful, is that most Catholic congregations have no idea they are even based on hymns. I am playing "Wer Nur Den Lieben Gott Lasst Walten" a week from next Sunday. The congregation will appreciate it as a beautiful piece of organ music, but most all will have no idea what it means or where it came from.

I find that if I want to play one of the chorales Bach used during mass, I often have to take it from the 1941 edition of the Lutheran Hymnal. Some of those chorales don't seem to be in the more current editions.
  • incantuincantu
    I'm beginning to regret having started this thread. My intent was not to throw Mr. Schutte under the bus.
  • francis
    It's a fine line to talk ethics. Talking ethics is good and fine, but when we bring a name into the discussion it becomes a questionable discussion. I agree with incantu. We should not throw ANYONE under the bus.
  • JamJam
    Mr. O'Connor -- I think we agree more than we disagree, really. Wonderful discussion to be having, I think. Reminds me of University (I've only a year left after this summer!!)

Dad29 -- I agree that the artist does not necessarily contaminate the art. Some brilliant things have come from some very strange people...

As for Mr. Schutte, I actually don't know anything about him save for briefly glancing at that website. Perhaps I should have phrased some of my arguments in more general terms.