Prayers Please
  • athome
    Dear colleagues,
    I am a frequent reader of this site and this forum and have taken many of the suggestions to heart and implemented many of the changes at my post as DoM. Parishioners have appreciated how the program has 'matured' over the past few years. For that, I thank the CMAA, for they have been the primary influence in shaping the way I carry out my vocation over the past three years and I am blessed to have been guided to the wisdom inherit in this organization, surely guided by the Holy Spirit.

This morning I was relieved of my position as DoM, informed by the pastor that people are not singing the Latin, and that given our congregation, we need someone willing to do more 'mainstream bilingual' music. And that my choices of music were highly questionable, despite being the text taken from the Graduale. Citing liturgical documents fell on deaf ears. Taking my place, I was informed, will be a highly regarded OCP recording artist.

Without this position, I unfortunately will now be unable to attend the Chant Intensive, or as it was referred to as 'that latin thing over the summer'. As I pack up my Graduale, Ward books, and other books purchased from CMAA and my future uncertain, I ask for your prayers that the Holy Spirit may guide me to further work for the Church that I so love, to a place where truly beautiful music within the sacred liturgy is appreciated and called for.

Grateful,
    Adam
  • Adam,

I pray that your musical talent and love for the Sacred Liturgy will find a home where both will be appreciated by parishioner and pastor alike. If it is not too late, it may be a good idea to ask those parishioners who appreciated the work you did if they could vouch for you when you apply for another position more suited to your vocation.

...Pater de caelis, Deus, miserere ei.
    Fili, Redemptor mundi, Deus, miserere ei.
    Spiritus Sancte, Deus, miserere ei.
    Sancta Trinitas, unus Deus, miserere ei.

Sancta Maria, ora pro eo.
    Sancta Dei Genetrix, ora pro eo.
    Sancta Virgo virginum, ora pro eo.

Sancte Gregori, ora pro eo.
    Sancta Caecelia, ora pro eo.
    Sancte Dominice, ora pro eo.

• Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    This is the second such case I've heard in two days. It is deeply tragic, and illustrative of the tumult of the transition. You are to be commended for your hard work, dedication to the Catholic liturgy, and also the gentle attitude toward this turn of events. There are ever more young pastors who would regard your talents as essential. As Aristotle says, you will surely find a home.
  • G
    You have my prayers as well, Adam.
    You know your own situation best, of course, but i wonder if going Chicago in June might not be useful professionally -- there are networking possibilities.
    I was only half joking when I suggested that musicians stand outside St John Cantius last October when the workshop teaching PRIESTS how to chant was going on, with hand lettered cardboard signs, "will chant for food."
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World!)
  • Adam,
    You are in my prayers. Don't forget organ subs are always needed, especially with regards to funerals. Sometimes there are 1-yr vacancies, and such, as you figure out where the Lord needs you. You may even need to do a non-Catholic job, or non-music job for a while to free your mind and heart. A few years ago I vowed never to work in a Catholic church again, but God has graced me with his peace and has blessed me with CMAA. May the Lord give you His guidance and peace.
    Colleen
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Adam (if I may be familiar, since I don't know you as others apparently do),

You will be remembered in my prayers. I too have at several times in my life been treated in such a manner, and well know how deep the wounds can go. Be prepared, even years later when you think they've healed, something will make the scars burn.

I concur with G; do everything you can to go to things like the chant intensive. The Enemy wants nothing more than for you to give up and wallow in your sorrow and anger rather than move on. Throw copious amounts of prayer and holy water at him, pack your bags and go. Besides, as said above, you never really know who you may run into or what opportunities may come your way!
  • JDE
    Adam,

remember how the Apostles shook the dust off their feet and said, "we turn instead to the Gentiles"? Well, it's time to find the Gentiles in another parish.

It's hard. I am thankful that I don't depend entirely on music for my living, because it frees me to be a little bolder with the choices I make as DOM. BUT I would hasten to add that, as difficult as this is, at least we're not in the same position as St Athanasius -- you against every other bishop in the world, so to speak. You are not alone, and sooner or later the parishes will have to come around. And I "third" the recommendation of G: by hook or by crook, you should get to the chant intensive. You never know what opportunities (even if only networking) might come your way.
  • francis
    Adam,

You have our unconditional support and prayers.

Here is a meditation from St. Louise de Montfort taken from His famed True Devotion. I pray it gives you courage and strength in the days and weeks to come.

"Lastly, we know they will be true disciples of Jesus Christ, imitating his poverty, his humility, his contempt of the world and his love. They will point out the narrow way to God in pure truth according to the holy Gospel, and not according to the maxims of the world. Their hearts will not be troubled, nor will they show favour to anyone; they will not spare or heed or fear any man, however powerful he may be. They will have the two-edged sword of the word of God in their mouths and the blood-stained standard of the Cross on their shoulders. They will carry the crucifix in their right hand and the rosary in their left, and the holy names of Jesus and Mary on their heart. The simplicity and self-sacrifice of Jesus will be reflected in their whole behaviour." Par. 59, True Devotion To The Blessed Virgin

Pax
  • mjballoumjballou
    Adam,
    Do everything you can to get to the chant intensive, not just for networking (which is good) but for the boost it will give your spirits to be surrounded by people with the same goals and passions. St. Julian of Norwich said that God told her that "all will be well." It's times like this that are almost impossible to appreciate that, but it's still true. And who knows what better thing is waiting for you.

Many of us have been in this place - fired, dismissed, or finding ourselves having to resign. And there won't be one reader of your posting that doesn't pray for you.
  • athome
    Hello all,
    I began this thread a few months back after having been relieved of my DoM position and just wanted to report good news. I have been hired by another parish who are looking to give chant its proper 'place of pride' as they quoted in the interview and also use of polyphony. They have recently just purchased a new organ and are interested in using 'the very best in sacred music'. This parish is certainly in the minority in Arizona, as most churches have been heavily influenced by LifeTeen and its music, which as many may know, has its roots and operates in Phoenix. Many thanks for all the prayers! God is good.

Adam
  • Jan
    Great new Adam!. Congratulations. I hope we will see you in Chicago?
  • Wonderful news, Adam! May the Lord prosper the work of your hands.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Oh my goodness, that is just thrilling!
  • I'm extremely happy for you, Adam! May God be glorified by you and the parish in the music of the Church.
  • Michael O'Connor
    Great news, Adam! This is real evidence of God's hand at work. Those people want and need you.
  • mjballoumjballou
    What good news on a Friday afternoon!
  • G
    Excellent news!
    Deo gratias
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • GavinGavin
    I would like to ask the prayers of those who care:

- I have several job opportunities. First, thanksgiving.
    - Second, that they all go well.
    - Third, that I have the wisdom to choose the best one.
    - And I'm about to return to school, so let's pray I balance my time responsibly and fulfill all expectations academically and professionally.

I'll keep everyone updated, but for now it's sufficient to say I have some amazing opportunities.
  • mlabelle
    Congratulations! I have tried to talk to LifeTeen about their choices of music before. Hopefully your work will literally hit them closer to home!
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for all your intentions, Gavin.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Athome -

How did you find out about the opening for your new position? Was it advertised on AGO, NPM, etc?