I guess I'm the only one.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    IS ANYONE ELSE EXCITED ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN A WEEK ???
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Oh boy, another Colloquium, another seven days of musical heaven, another week of wonderful polyphony and chant, ho-hum. :-P
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Yay!

By the way, you know why I like you, Chris? Because you use your real name. And I remember who you are, from editing SACRED, BEAUTIFUL, & UNIVERSAL: Colloquium XIX.

Here's something to "get us all in the mood" for next week:

http://musicasacra.com/2010/06/12/winter-chant-intensive-2010/
  • don roy
    I have the joy of hosting singers from fr. ho lung (of carribian mass fame). actually they took over complete with boom box and "strings that will make you cry." Of course all this effectively destroys my 4 year old attempts to increase a sense of sacred. (amazing how caution with regards to music as "performance" is only applicable to classical music)

yea, im REALLY looking forward to next week!!!!!!!
  • chonakchonak
    Can you teach them some real sacred music while they're there at the parish?
  • don roy
    chonak
    great idea. i was able to salvage the sacrum convivium we were planning to do (and the choir did well) but how can you compete with that salsa beat!?
  • Walking past churches in the past, hearing a loud bass beat emanating from the building told us that there was a dance going on in basement parish hall.

[one parish in Cleveland, Ohio we spent sweltering during a rehearsal. We asked the director of music to turn the air on. Turned out that only the church basement bingo hall was airconditioned. As he said, "Our pastor has priorities." At another parish in a Jewish/Catholic neighborhood Bingo was on Friday nights to attract non-observant Jews to play since the bingo games at the synagogues were shut down for the Sabbath.]
  • marajoymarajoy
    I'm excited! (and I'm even more excited, cuz I was kinda thinking that it was 2 weeks away, cuz that's when I had to get a sub for Sunday for, and then I realized yesterday that it actually does start in 9 days!)

maybe we should all wear nametags that have our "screennames" on them? (ok, well, I can almost promise you that I'll be the only "Mara" there...) :-D
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm very excited... For the past two years I've gotten to go to the NPM Convention for free (paid by parish), but I'm far, far more excited about going to this and paying for it myself than I ever was for those other conventions...
  • Flambeaux
    Oh, I'm very excited and I was just coming over here to see if there was a thread of people coordinating rides to and from the airport. Scared to death (as I was last year) but looking forward to it.
  • don roy
    hey flambeaux
    i know in looking forward to meeting you in pittsburg. your comments here are great!
  • Boy, I wish I were going to Pittsburgh, if for no other reason than to escape a S Florida summer... I still haven't gotten used to the lack of normal outside summer activities. It's just too hot to even stand outside for more than a few minutes. The churches are virtually empty, since the bulk of the populace has moved back north. I may become a "sun bird" if this keeps up!
  • G
    I can't to meet everyone, (especially people I missed last time because I talk too much and listen too little...)
    You'll recognize me...

G
    Scelata
    Gere
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • mjballoumjballou
    I went to three colleges and a conservatory. However, the Colloquium is what feels like "homecoming week" to me.

And every year I meet more wonderful people from all over the country (indeed, all over the world) who encourage me to keep trying - because they're trying, because some are succeeding, because everyone is not in some "lockstep" but still moving forward.

How I look forward to seeing all the people I know - and meeting so many more! You'll recognize me - slightly antic with the red hair and a fondness for sacred music from Byzantine chant to the Sacred Harp!

Mary Jane
    Sacred Miscellany
  • Geri,
    You are truly incorrigible. That's why I love you so.
    See you Sunday night.
    C&W
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I'll prefer a Dos Equis as I think about those of you in Pittsburgh.
  • G
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I'll prefer a Dos Equis as I think about those of you in Pittsburgh.

Stay churchy, my friend...

Hoisting a beer makes me think, though -- in all seriousness, am i remembering correctly that when Pittsburgh was first announced, someone posted that it was a veritable mecca of microbreweries and brew pubs?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • marajoymarajoy
    the pubs were discussed here: http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2233&page=1
    but without any helpful info :-(
    someone, please chime in!

(also, try searching for "beer" on this forum. it's a little frightening, considering this forum is supposed to be about church music! lol...)
  • Try searching for WINE, Marajoy.
    All that comes up is my name in size 288 font.
    I'm not shipping stuff this week; gonna do a local Pomeroy's Wine Bar* shopping on Sunday/Monday.
    We're also going to drop the rental car this year, it's a recession after all. (It's RECESSION after all, it's RECESSION after all....) So, I can't make quick runs to Pomeroy's and Dr. Treacy has to take a cab for new reading glasses.

*You know, I think I ought to change my screen moniker to Rumpole. I'm just as crochety and have a "She who must be obeyed." It's Wendy's birthday today BTW.
  • Flambeaux
    Charles, drag me with you. I drank my fair share of wine last year and I'd like to offer up a bottle or two this time around.
  • Okey doke, Flambeaux, you'll have to bring your own little sommelier cup attached to a silver braided necklace with you.
    I'm sure the fellahs at the corner liquor sto' will appreciate not having to drag out little plastic cups for our, uh, tasting.
  • Flambeaux
    LOL! I'll see if I can get the sommolier cup through security. :D
  • JennyJenny
    You know, Charles, there are vineyards on the East coast too! I'll bring a few samples.

Also, my husband is coming up on Friday and he is well schooled in the search for microbrews and he has been to Pittsburgh before. (I fact, I believe he is much more interested in microbrews than he is in chant. Luckily, he is more interested in me than he is in microbrews, but I digress.)

He also claims that he never gets lost, so we should all be able to drive around Pittsburgh like natives!
  • I know, Jenny, I know of New England wineries, not whiners.
    I had some New Yawk Ice Wine one time, and all I could say the rest of the evening was "Fuggedaboudit!"
  • I know, Jenny, I know of New England wineries, not whiners.
    I had some New Yawk Ice Wine one time, and all I could say the rest of the evening was "Fuggedaboudit!"
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    HAS IT OFFICIALLY BEGUN YET????
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Jeff, it hasn't started if *you're* not there yet!

Last year I didn't meet nearly enough people whose names I know from the forum.

Hope to do better this year!

Mary
  • mjballoumjballou
    Yippee, Skippee! We're almost there! Whoever would have thought that Pittsburgh would have been "a land of pure delight"? Even now, I'm sorting through my liturgically tasteful wardrobe, charging my electronics, and patting my Gregorian Missal.

I can hardly wait to see those I know and meet those I don't. Safe travel to all - and continued safe travel to those already en route.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Pittsburgh is a fantastic and wonderful city. I'm in love with the place.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Jeffrey - you're always in love.
  • gregpgregp
    "It's the most wonderful time.... of the year"
  • Flambeaux
    I'll make a point to wear one of my distinctive t-shirts: either something promoting traditional role-playing games or something promoting traditional Catholicism. Doesn't matter how you slice it, I'm a trad. ;)
  • I will miss meeting all of you (and visiting friends and colleagues at my alma mater) but I have good reasons: here in the Diocese of North Carolina, on 24 June, the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, Fr. Philip Tighe is celebrating his first public Missa Cantata for his tenth anniversary (St. Catherine of Siena, Wake Forest, 7 pm); and on 27 June, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Rocky Mount, which has a weekly Sunday-night EF, is celebrating their patronal feast with Missa Cantata at the regular 6 pm EF. My schola (Schola Vox Clara) is combining with the Silvers family schola from OLPH to chant, polyphonize, and string-and-flute. If anyone down this way has to miss Colloquium, you're most welcome to join us on either or both of those evenings!
  • CharlesW
    I keep hoping that one of these Colloquiums will be held in the Southern U.S. some day, and within reasonable driving distance. I hate to travel, but think I would force myself to attend if that were the case. These always seem to be held in the North, for some reason. Our leaders must have Yankee-itis. ;-)
  • DougS
    I nominate Louisville, KY--the Colloquium could include a "church crawl" to view all the splendid sacred architecture. Apologies if this has been done before.

Of course, having grown up near Little Rock, AR, I am not someone who necessarily considers Louisville (or Kentucky) "Southern."
  • CharlesW
    Louisville is a lovely city. Then there's Nashville with Aquinas College - a Dominican institution. Asheville and Atlanta are nice, although I don't know much about organs and churches in Asheville.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Louisville--Oh my gosh, yes. And I'll bet anything I could talk my friend Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz into celebrating one of the Masses!

Mary
  • CharlesW
    Louisville sounds great to me! Now to convince the Bilderbergers who run CMAA LOL. Wait, maybe they are really Jesuits! ;-)
  • Okay, did anyone think to mention that PA is a blue law state?!? I cannot go to Pomeroy's on Sunday here! Jesuits would never put a convention in a state where spirits are sequestered to taverns only on Sundays. Or Franciscans for that matter.
    I'm lucky to have LAN in our hotel, I figure.
  • Flambeaux
    Charles in CenCA,

PA's blue laws just mean we need to plan ahead... :)
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Well, I'd vote for a colloquium near me (say, Denver), of course. Actually, it would be nice to see the event rotate amongst various locales, but I figure that doing so would make our leaders' efforts for cost efficiency and ease-of-planning more difficult.
  • I'd like to vote for Savannah, GA. It would be great to sing in the St John the Baptist Cathedral.
  • CharlesW
    Nothing could be drier than Charles in Pennsylvania Sunday mo-o-or-ning... Oh well, you could always think of it as penance. ;-)
  • Hey, CtB, I resemble that remark!
  • Donnaswan
    Michael- my choir combined with an Episcopal choir and sang there. We also sang at Christ Church Epis then went on to St. Simon's Island and sang Vespers at Christ Church on the Island. It was awesome. LOL St. John's has finally hired someone after nearly a year's search.
  • tdunbar
    How about St Ann's in Charlotte, NC.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I vote Hawaii.

The folks who run LIFE (Liturgy in a Formative Environment) used to run two sessions of their "class" a year - one in Ohio and one in Ontario. Then one year they decided, forget this terrible weather... we're doing our class in Hawaii. Good for them.