Differences in versions of Immaculate Mary
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm just wondering, which version of Immaculate Mary's "refrain" is the "original"?

Since moving from Canada to the United States I've become very used to the one sung here in America. I'm wondering if other countries have different versions or if there are just the two. Anyone know of the reasons for the differences?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The differnces I'm interested in are in melody and rhythm, not text.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    AFAIK, it's the refrain on the downbeat that is the variation. I grew up with that version, and found the version in Dr. Marier's "Hymns, Psalms & Spiritual Canticles" quite refreshing. But listen to the "The Song of Bernadette" here http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=wi2GtCCaq98&feature=related at about 5:00 minutes into the clip.
    "The Westminster Hymnal" also contains the pick-up version of the refrain. I wish more contemporary hymnals would convert to this original version.
  • incantuincantu
    The French version is sung with a pick-up, as you say.
  • Chrism
    Going from memory here...the Traditional Roman Hymnal has two versions: "Lourdes Refrain" (C4 C8 B4 B8 A8 A8 A8 D4 G8) and "Fatima Refrain" (G8 C4 C8 B4 B8 A8 A8 A8 D4). I would assume that Lourdes was written before Fatima.
    Enjoy this rendition from The Westminster Hymnal:
    http://en.gloria.tv/?media=43249
    Then after listening to all the verses - try going back to the silly down-beat American version!
  • Steve's version from the Westminster Hymnal is far and away more up-beat!
    And it's great from a musical software editing standpoint: It has about 15 verses, each one of which mentions both Jesus and Mary, and they go through the liturgical seasons. If you need to use only 3-4 verses, you have lots to choose from. And if you sing them all, voila, you have a May Procession!