Vatican II and the Roman Missal
  • incantuincantu
    For me, this is the most interesting part, and something I've been searching for in print for a long time:

"A preference for singing many parts of the Mass is expressed in the new Instruction by the introduction of the phrase “is either sung or recited” at the profession of faith (137), the Lamb of God (155), Preface (216), the Kyrie (125) and the Gloria."

This quotation proves that the preference for singing various parts of the Mass is expressed in the liturgical document in question by the phrase "is either sung or recited." How can a phrase that offers two options be said to express a preference for one over the other? The only possible answer is the order in which they are given. If the preference were for speaking, the document would say "is either spoken or sung."

The same logic can be applied to other options for the Mass. In the case of the processional propers, this is even more clear. Option one is a song that was specifically chosen (or reaffirmed) by the Church for a particular celebration with the reordering of the Graduale Romanum in 1974 (well after the close of the Council). The second option is a chant from a book called the Graduale Simplex. That this book is a "simpler" alternative to the preferred first choice is clear from both the title and the inscription "for use in smaller churches." The third option allows for liturgical chant that is not proper to the Mass itself (examples would include Office antiphons and liturgical hymns) but is nonetheless suitable for divine worship. The forth option, which encompasses the other three, is the least specific, with the only requirement that the selection be "appropriate" (and, of course, approved by the local authority).

Given the arrangement of the processional options from the most specific (and therefore most appropriate) to the least specific, and the affirmation by the CDW of the explicit preference made by the ordering of options in the GIRM, I can see no other reading than that the proper of the Mass is the first choice, and that devotional hymns and other religious music foreign to the liturgy are permitted only when necessary as a last choice. Since these revisions to the Missal came about as a result of the Second Vatican Council and are fully in line with its spirit, and since the current GIRM reaffirms the importance of the participation of the congregation, one can conclude that the congregation participates most fully when the preferred options are followed.
  • Kathy
    Excellent point. I've assumed that the order suggested a preference as well, and it is great to see this.

We've come a long way in a short time, I think.
  • miacoyne
    I was looking at "changes in the people's parts" in the new missal from
    http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-people.shtml

and it shows only two choices of Penitential Acts, 'Form A' and 'Form B'. Is this mean the present 'Form C' will not be used with the new missal or still be used but unchanged?

Also the 'Form B' is quite different, and looks like Kyrie eleison is going to be sung even after 'Form B'?

Thanks
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    miacoyne, when I look at the full text of the Ordo Missae, I see all three forms of the Penitential Act. Only after the last form (no. 6) the Kyrie isn't sung.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks smvanroode. So the 'Study Text' is the finished and completely approved text? Often times having 3 different options of Penitential Act causes a confusion. (I guess the first one is the preferred one, but there's no other rules about the options?)
    Last week the priest forgot that we are singing "kyrie' and went onto saying "Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy..." (I geuss that was Form C. Some priets in this area seem to mix Form B and C though.) And then when he remembered, he looked at the schola to sing Kyrie and apologized.
    At another time, the priest did only the initial prayer by himself and no dialogue, and paused for a long time waiting for the schola to sing Kyrie. I didn't know that was another option. I don't know the benefit of having 3 different options besides the fact that 2nd and 3rd ones can make it short. Again many options can cause more confusions in OF. (I have to make sure whenever possible, take the missal with me and ask the priest which option he will be doing for the Mass, although I noticed he can still forget during the Mass and does it differently.)
  • incantuincantu
    Our priests have been so concerned with doing the Sprinkling Rite during the Easter season (which they do not do any other time during the year) that they have on several occasions skipped the Gloria(!), going straight into the collect.
  • MarkThompson
    One "solution" I've seen, incantu: do the Gloria during the sprinkling rite. :(
  • G
    One "solution" I've seen, incantu: do the Gloria during the sprinkling rite. :(

That's SOP in my diocese...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Mark, could you still do that if there was still a short prayer after the Sprinkling Rite, before the Gloria would begin, though?
  • OlbashOlbash
    I think Mark's emoticon indicates his distaste for this "solution." It is not permissible to sing the Gloria during the sprinkling rite. If it's "SOP" in G's diocese, it's only because pastors are anxious to get everyone out to the parking lot in 59 minutes or less.
  • Of course, it's so convenient.

=(

This discussion also takes place here:
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1328
  • incantuincantu
    If I had a pastor that insisted on combining these two discrete ritual actions, I would be happy to oblige him by singing the Gloria and the Vidi aquam simultaneously. It's no more absurd.
  • Kathy
    Hmm, I wonder.

In the EF there are a lot of instances of unlike actions and texts overlapping. That's one of the things that keeps it flowing.

Tho there is probably a reasoned structure to it...
  • miacoyne
    "In the EF there are a lot of instances of unlike actions and texts overlapping."

Kathy, could you give an example? (sorry, I'm not sure about 'unlike actions...')
  • chonakchonak
    incantu, singing the Gloria and Vidi Aquam simultaneously sounds like the sort of solution they came up with in the late Middle Ages, so I guess that's a plus!