Which chant group?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I'm very excited to have gotten my registration in and to be coming to Pittsburgh in June.

I'm not sure which chant schola I belong in; I'm not exactly a total "beginner" - I have a small group of men that I work with (I'm the music director), and right now we are chanting the Communios every week from the American Gradual. We've also done quite a bit from By Flowing Waters, as well as several chants from the Graduale Romanum (Ecce Virgo, for Advent IV is one that we've done, as well as "Puer Natus Est" and several others).

So do I belong in the intermediate group, or should I stick to the beginning group?
  • The biggest question will be "Do you read the square notes well?" Do you understand all the rhythmic and expressive marks? If no to either, then beginning group would be best.
  • incantuincantu
    I say go for the beginner group, even if you're not one yourself. If for no other reason, you will be able to observe techniques for instructing beginners, and hopefully hear some questions that beginners will ask (which you can take into account in your own rehearsal planning). That's my $.02.
  • That's a fabulous suggestion.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    That is very helpful. Thank you to both of you.
  • ChaedatylChaedatyl
    I have a question along the same lines. I have never been to the Colloquim. However, I direct a schola that sings propers in Latin from the Gregorian Missal/Graduale for the High Mass, ordinary form, every week. In addition, I also sing propers from the Liber for our extraordinary form Mass every week. I would love a challenge, but I don't want to put myself in a harder place than I belong in. Any suggestions would be welcome!
  • chonakchonak
    Another angle is to consider the repertoire of the various groups:

The introductory-level group usually learns material from the Mass ordinaries.
    The intermediate groups work on introits and communions.
    The advanced groups practice graduals and offertories.

Also, if a Vespers service is on the program, one polyphony group will sing it, usually with some plainchant and some fauxbourdon and polyphony.
  • Also, if you are there to sing - rather than observe the director - and you have experience with square notes, try the intermediate group. You'll know in one session if you need an even more advanced group.
  • AOZ
    We have posted guidelines on the site to help you choose your group.

Just now noticing this thread - sorry it's taken me so long to point this out. (I've been focused on nothing but emails, registrations, insurance applications, spread sheets, bank deposits, budgets, etc.for days on end. No, weeks and weeks. I've lost track of time. Colloquium, come soon!)