Sursum Corda: The Youth Classical Schola
  • Kathy
    ...From the time when the discussions of my schola's involvement first began, the organizer who was my principle contact spoke of his strong sense that children's voices would be essential at this Mass. While I agreed, I had no idea at the time that his sense would turn out to be quite so prophetic and urgent...

http://hymnographyunbound.blogspot.com/2010/04/sursum-corda-adventures-in-ecclesiology.html
  • miacoyne
    Kathy, I think what you did was heroic. I'm sure it's rewarding, but I can't imagine what went on behind there and organizing rehearsals. And I'm glad everything went smoothly and safely with so many choirs and children. Also you had to sit and help them during the long Mass they might not even used to. Thank you.
    The children were wonderful and their singing was beautiful.

Mia
  • Kathy
    Thanks, Mia. I just feel grateful. One of the ushers told me, "Ma'am, you should be very proud of your children." They took care of themselves during the Mass. I was very proud.

(Post updated with a photo cribbed from the NCR)
  • Kathy,
    both on Friday evening and Saturday, I entered the upper church while your group was singing, and both times my unbidden thought was: This is what this place should sound like!

Beautiful singing, and it carried well in the huge space. The schola couldn't see much from the gallery, so your list of pieces helped me realize it was your schola I heard. Well done.
    Laudate pueri, Dominum, laudate nomen Domini.
  • Kathy
    Thanks, David.

Cum angelis et pueris, fideles inveniamur...
  • rsven
    Kathy, My daughter, who is a graduate student at CUA, attended the Mass. She is an experienced chant and polyphony singer: and all she could say to me was--the children!!! She couldn't get over it.
  • Kathy
    Awesome, thanks for saying this! They really did their best.

There were two different groups of children, a total of 4 area children's choirs, including Blessed Sacrament School in DC, Brigid Forcey, Director, St. John the Beloved Academy in McClean, VA, David Lang, Director, and St. Ann's Academy in DC, Escolastica Williams, Director.

David Lang was pretty busy that day!