Growing censorship on New Liturgical Movement blog
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What's with the growing amount of censoship on the NLM blog? I noticed in the past they'd leave comments off for certain things, but now it seems to be happening more and more.

On the front page now there are the following stories:

Benedict's Artist - COMMENTS FORBIDDEN
    Pontifical Mass Reminder - COMMENTS FORBIDDEN
    Fifth anniversary - comments allowed
    Monastic Silence - comments allowed
    Oxford Mass - COMMENTS FORBIDDEN
    R.I.P. Cardinal Tomas Spidlik - comments allowed
    Christ the Good Shepherd - comments allowed
    Chant post - comments allowed
    Japanese Madonnas - comments allowed
    Burke Baptizes - COMMENTS FORBIDDEN
    Colloquium Shill - COMMENTS FORBIDDEN
    and then the last three are comments allowed.

Sure, there are some inappropriate things sometimes said there... but I think monitoring the comments is a much more prudent way to go about things than just forbidding them. What if someone had a legitimate question on one of these posts? They'd be unable to ask it.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i have also noticed that they have been censoring a lot of comments. i think this is an unfortunate policy on so many levels.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think some comments need to be censored.. but shutting off comments on posts that might have had meaningful discussions is a poor decision.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I completely agree, but as with most things that people think are a result of human volition, this is actually a software issue. Shawn changed the default not to not show comments so that posters have to turn them on. I forget most everytime. I was going to write him about this.
  • IanWIanW
    Thank goodness, Jeffrey - I wasn't looking forward to irritating people with another free-speech speech : - )
  • francis
    Free speech is a perfect entre for dissent.
  • chonakchonak
    Free speech is a perfect entre for dissent.

Hm? Did somebody say: Entrees? Desserts?
    Oh: never mind.

Actually, the censorship on Rorate Caeli bothered me more. I'm insufficiently traditionalist for them, apparently, so my attempted comments there were never accepted. No problem: I have enough to read already.
  • awruff
    As someone quite involved in the blog world, I have to reject the premise of the name of this thread. It is not censorship when the blog editors eliminate comments or disallow them. It is editing. Censorship is where you use the power of a police state to prevent others from expressing themselves - eg, by shutting down their blogs. Editing is where you decide what goes in your own publication - journal, newspaper, blog, whatever. Journals have been accepting and rejecting submissions for publication since forever, and have never felt obliged to publish every submitted article in the name of free speech. This is editing, not censorship.
    awr
  • tdunbar
    awr is correct, of course. However, the misdefinition is widespread.
  • I have to disagree. Censoring is just that. It can be done by a blog owner or an emperor. Deleting someone's comments with which you do not agree is censoring that viewpoint, if not actually the person. I think everyone would agree that deleting comments that include ad-hominem, foul language, or other malicious (or commercial) statements is warranted, but even this is censoring.
  • don roy
    I used to contribute a great deal over at nlm. I still think its one of the most important and best blogs for the restoration of the sacred. Believe me, there were times when the combox relm degenerated into pretty bad name calling. one post (about chausable style no less) had close to 200 entries and each more angry then the last.
    Shawn has, by and large, done a great job at straddling the line between editing and cencership and the combox world is more or less civil over there as a result.
    There are times however when it crosses the line towards the political and, rare though it is, nontheless was problematic enough for me to limit my contribution to this combox.
    by and large however, the nlm is a Godsend for the reform of the reform.
    Ah but Michael. I can tell you, as someone who manages many many of these online forums and email lists and the like, that unless you can control the culture of a venue, you might as well not open it. It is just a fact. Every valuable venue (and that means this one too) must must must control else it becomes worthless for everyone. This is because of my own 2% rule. 2% of the would-be commentators are out to make trouble, wreck conversation, troll around, vent and abuse, and otherwise reduce rather than increase the value of the media. These are teh same people who litter, spray graffiti in bathrooms, stick gum in water coolers, vandalize property, and the like. There are just people like that, and civilization must protect against these people else the 98% are not free to create, build, converse, and grow. It's the wheat and tares problem. Now, a secondary question is where you draw the line, and that can be tricky. Sometimes it is too tight and sometimes too loose. As soon as you establish principles and rules of thumb, there is a commentator who is between the lines. It is also a learning process for moderators. But if you think about it, the responsibility here is on the right shoulders: the owners. If the owners are too strict, the value of the venue falls; too loose, same thing. So it must be carefully calibrated, and fallibly so. I know we've dealt with this here many times. I've deleted posts of good friends, and even banned people with whom I had a working relationship. I don't like making these decisions. No one does. It isn't easy. The accusations fly and people can be astonishingly mean and insulting. My own impulses are hyper-liberal in this respect, but reality keeps hitting me in the face.
  • francis
    JT

It is a tough job to be a moderator. No one will be your friend after enough time passes, because you will never (as you say) find the perfect balance. I both pity and respect your position as a result, but I would never want to have it.

That said, JT has axed some of my posts at times. You get over it, but you never forget it. It does have a way of making you feel (what's the word?)
  • don roy
    with the risk of repeating myself, i think its very important to reaffirm how important the nlm is to us all. we may all quibble here and there but its contribution to the sacred must not be underestimated. Shawn should be commended for the excellent service he provides us all everyday.
    i have my issues with nlm but i never forget this.
    Shawn is more risk averse than I am. but again, it is his blog
  • don roy
    no doubt it takes a thick skin to be a moderator. jeffry, you certainly have it, shawn, bless him, has it too and i most certainly do not. if i had to endure what you guys have to deal with id have been permanently committed a long time ago.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I especially enjoy that Jeffrey doesn't delete any of my jokes I post in the comment boxes of his NLM posts (about him listening to Snoop Dog or organists using shaving cream).
  • IanWIanW
    Fr. Ruff,

In the case of Pray, Tell, your comparison with a scholarly journal misses the point of your liberal, eirenic and intellectual claims for it, which can't be reconciled with a policy of removing comments that question those credentials. So, too, the editor of a print journal decides to include letters or not within the cost and time constraints of journal production; those constraints don't apply to a blog and its comments board. There is no need to modify and remove comments as you do (including those that mention this practice) and reasons of integrity not to. In this context, your persistence in the habit does indeed look like censorship – arbitrary use of your position to silence those with whom you disagree.

What a shame we can't have this discussion on your own blog, and how ironic it is that we are having it on a comments board that hasn't trumpeted its commitment to dialogue, but just got on with it.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    IanW: well said.
  • IanWIanW
    Shawn's quite tolerant, but the axe fell when I suggested a post reminded me of a scene from Life of Brian (that one where the Judean People's Liberation Front gets into a stand-off with the People's Front for the Liberation of Judea).
  • chonakchonak
    From time to time I let commenters quarrel a bit too much on the Catholic Light blog, or I even join in. It helps to go back after a day or so and "unpublish" the comments that don't contribute any real information.
  • CharlesW
    I tend to stay away from blogs. They are little more than opinions, and like the old saying goes, everyone has one. Sometimes blogs can be uniformly worthless. Why folks get so worked up over them is beyond me. Reading about the Church Fathers, or one of Pope Benedict's excellent books, is much more rewarding.
  • don roy
    beautiful Ian
    but a sad irony.
    Generally my rule is never "censor" for ideas -- all points of view can be expressed -- but do delete or ban to enforce civility, manners, good citizenship etc.. Now, that's easier to enforce in a secular settings. Religious ones are a bit different - there is a real problem in promoting heresy and the like, and that fact opens a can of worms.
  • Jeffrey, I certainly understand the challenges of moderating a discussion forum and you are to be commended for your restraint. I was just pointing out that censorship is not a bad thing -- it's just a thing. Censoring lewd comments or opposing points is the same act, but some censorship is generally applauded while some may be decried. Just making point, that's all.
    Ah I see. Sorry I misunderstood. Must have been tedious reading a response to something you didn't say.
  • IanWIanW
    Must have been tedious reading a response to something you didn't say.

: - )
  • mjballoumjballou
    Occasionally I have learned wonderful things in comments on blogs. Very occasionally. Usually I find that com boxes tend to deteriorate after about five comments into the commenters attacking each other, often entirely off the original topic, with religious blogs being the worst. Sadly I rarely read comments on NLM or Fr. Z's blog anymore for exactly that reason.

On my own blog, I regularly remove comments are inappropriate. And if I think a topic will bring on "the usual suspects," I disable comments. Hey, it's my blog after all.
  • Jeffrey,

It's all good. I should strive to be more clear so that you don't have to respond to something I didn't say ; - )

Terms become loaded with use, and I was just pointing out that censorship is not always a bad thing, but when employed in the manner that Jeffrey and Shawn Tribe do, it can serve to keep diverse opinions from running into uncivilized situations.