HELP ....WHAT SUNG MASS IS SUNG ......?
  • BONNIE
    Can someone please tell me or direct me where to go to help my friend , who is in charge of the choir at our traditional Catholic Church? Below is the plea that was passed on to me. PLEASE HELP US OR DIRECT US TO WHERE WE CAN GET A LIST OF THE DIFFERENT SUNG MASS'. Thank you so much. Bonnie...AVE MARIA!!!

I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

For instance,
    Mass 1 is for Easter only!.....
    Mass 9 is for Feasts of Our Lady.....
    Mass 11 is for time after Pentecost.

Now, I was once told that Mass 2 is for Pentecost Sunday. OK...you tell me what, say, Mass 13 is for? In my Kyriale is says "In Festis Semiduplicibus.2" or for Semidoubles.2.........just what does that mean?!?!?!? I was told it is a Second Class Feast...ok...like what? I need an example of a feast for which we could use that Mass.

could you give me examples of feasts for the following Masses,
    I would be ETERNALLY grateful!!

1. Mass 4

2. Mass 6

3. Mass 10

4. Mass 12

5. Mass 13

6. Mass 14

Oh, well, all the Masses except 1,2,8,9,11,17.
  • WGS
    I won't get into the details of what goes with each numbered Mass, but keep in mind that a Mass is a Mass. It's the text that is determinative. On the other hand, if sung with the OF, the troped Kyrie related to the title of a numbered Mass would limit the application of that Kyrie to the occasion referred to by the trope.

And the numbers themselves are not really ancient history. They are the result of the work of Solesmes in the mid nineteenth century.
  • Bonnie,

Those Masses are only SUGGESTIONS.

Even Solesmes admits this in the front of the Liber.

ANY Kyrie from ANY Mass can technically be sung FOR any Mass, any AGNUS from ANY MASS can technically be sung for any Mass.

Many people like to follow the headers in the 1908 Graduale Romanum, and it has become somewhat traditional to do this: but this is NOT a rule.

It is basically saying, "You might want to use Mass I for Eastertide --- it works nicely --- many people do this. There is nothing prohibiting any other Mass from being used, but this one works nicely."

That being said, I would not recommend singing, for example, the REQUIEM MASS Kyrie for Sundays in Eastertide....
  • BONNIE
    I have been in search of an answer for sometime.....Thank you both for shedding light on this now solved mystery. And thank you for the prompt response. :) AVE MARIA!!! Bonnie
  • The exact words from the Liber are, "The assigned Mass ordinaries are not to be thought of as a hard and fast rule." Historically speaking, this is a very wise statement.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    And I'd like to add a reminder that the Gregorian "tones" are a system of "movable Doh". Especially if you are using a western-notation source - transpose each chant to where they are most singable, and compatible with one another.