Surrexit Christus Dominus?
  • Nisi
    Doea anyone know the source of the text of "Surrexit Christus Dominus" by Praetorius?
  • The only source I can find is in the 1864 book Das Deutche Kirchenlied. It's here, and if you click "read online" over to the left and then change the page number to "n205", you should see it, titled "Canticum vetus Surrexit Christus Dominus." So, it's "old"; but possibly someone who knows more German than I do (i.e., more than "Ich bin ein Berliner") can make something of what appears to be a citation after the Latin text.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The German reads:

Luc. Loss. 1579 Blatt 110b. Mit dem deutschen Text zusammen. Hinter jeder Zeile doppeltes Halleluia.

Which translates as:

Luc. Loss. 1579 page 110b. Together with the German text. After each part a double Halleluia.

The full reference is found on page n31. In short: Lucas Lossius (Lucas Lotze), Psalmodia, hoc est, Cantica sacra veteris ecclesiae selecta. (Fourth edition, Wittenberg, 1579). The 1569 edition of this hymnal can be viewed online at http://www.bibliotekacyfrowa.pl/dlibra/doccontent?id=21686&from=FBC. To display the content of the publication, you need to install a plug-in (for Windows or Linux – alas, I can't see it...).
  • Thanks for the additional info; though I believe it's "cantica sacra," not "cantica saera."
  • Nisi
    Thank you both!