SKYPE. To enhance or not to enhance
  • For those who have video/audio PC capabilities, do you think that using SKYPE communication (free internet vid/aud tool) would be of benefit to our doings?
  • rogue63
    Depends. I've used Skype as a communications tool for three years now (and even took a job interview on Skype), and it's worked well. However, each one of the not-infrequent updates and redesigns have required a learning curve for locating all the familiar buttons. There are some connectivity issues (dropped calls, poor video/audio), unless your software is all updated and you have plenty of disk space.

On the other hand, it's totally free, and an instant live conversation with the people you want, as well as live chat. Skype supports audio-only conference calls, but no video (only computer-computer), so perhaps a live demonstration of some sort----such as a 15-minute tutorial on reading neumes, or how to conduct polyphony, or how distinguish between Liber Usualis and Graduale Romanum, etc.---might be difficult to arrange for a large group. Unless someone could arrange something for a meeting space--auditorium, parish hall---and use a projector? Just thinking out loud.

I'm not really a tech guy, but I'm sure there are ways to utilize the thing for Musica Sacra. Ideas?
  • Carl DCarl D
    I've used Skype for my coaching work. Usually it's just fine, but has occasional connectivity or quality problems. Since it's free, there's not much you can do about it.

It's best for 1-1 connections, where a single person is talking to another single person. For situations where you want to talk to MULTIPLE people, a webcast/webinar environment is going to be more useful. And those environments, being paid, are more reliable.

Carl