Warming up your Schola
  • mjballoumjballou
    I want to develop a brief and effective warmup routine for my women's schola. It should be a cappella. We all know how loathe amateur singers (and some professionals as well) are to warm up. Consequently, it needs to be short and deliver some value to the singers (other than making me happy).

What are your "best practices"?
  • Jevoro
    Would need some video to show the little preceeding brathingexercice... swinging up and down in your (liberated) knees, the whole body is following, even the arms go highly up and down, exspirating when all is up (arms on the toppest) explosing some Ft, making shure that all the time the feet keep deeply enracinated in the floor. No mouvement ahead without contre-mouvement in the floor. (To make shure my broken english, just tell it in french: Il s'agit d'une espèce de balancement des bras vers le haut et vers le bas, suivi de tout le corps: les genoux se plient quand les bras baissent, et se relèvent (jamais totalement, jamais raidis: tout doit se passer dans une certaine rondeur) quand les bras vont vers le haut. On inspire quand les bras sont en bas, et on expire en lançant un FT quand les bras sont en haut. Ne jamais décoller du sol, veiller à ce que les pieds restent toujours enracinés dans le sol, car il ne peut pas y avoir de mouvement vers le haut, vers l'avant, vers le ciel, sans prendre appui en bas, dans le sol.)

Ft tz ft tz ft tz (travail du diaphragme et du bas ventre)

Tzang (résonance ng au fond du palais, comme une cloche)

Tzangam (hot potatoe in the closed mouth for the last a: am)

Tzangambrbrbrbrbr (brbrbr: liberate your lips) this last complex one may go chromaticaly up and down.

(Ces exercices sont une synthèse rapide de ce que m'ont appris Bernard Scherer à Beuron, Francis Dubus au Puy , Franziska (?) à Lourdes et C-J Demollière à Metz)
  • OlbashOlbash
    Jevoro, I see where you're going with those exercises, and I like them!!! I find that 90% of the choral warm-ups I've experienced are actually *harmful* to the voice. Yours are outstanding.

J's warm-up suggestions are excellent, in that the first exercise does not even engage the voice -- it simply wakes up the breathing mechanism to be sure that your choir isn't singing on a shallow breath. This part of the exercise might be expanded, and should take as long as necessary depending upon the hour.

Resonating on "ng" is one of my favorite exercises. After doing some plain "ng" exercises, I sometimes follow it with "ng-eeee," making it obscenely nasal. This helps remind singers of their forward resonance.

The "br br br" is also invaluable for "liberating the lips" as Jevoro says. It's amazing how much tension resides right there, and how much of it can be freed with a few of those horse-lips exercises.

Less for vocal health, and more for mental concentration, you might follow what Scott Turkington did at the last CMAA colloquium. Among other things, he had the schola sing the different modes on solfege, using the same starting pitch. I also find octatonic scales real brain teasers, especially if you alternate the construction between the ascending and descending scales: e.g., Ascending: start-half-whole-half-whole-half-whole-half-whole. Descending: Start-half-whole-half-whole-half-whole-half-whole. Any exercise that gets the brain thinking intervalically is time well spent.

Of course, my favorite warm-up is to take a four-or-five verse hymn, and play it in five different keys. Hymns make great vocalises, the phrases are short and permit liberal breathing, and it's a way of practicing the hymnody without the choir even knowing they're rehearsing. Meanwhile, you give *yourself* a good mental warm-up trying not to make any voice-leading mistakes while you're sight-transposing. Unless, of course, "ya toastah's gut a clickah." (That's Bostonian for "your electronic organ has a transposer button.")
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Basically, depending on the time of day, people don't need a lot of "warming up." What they need is quick exercises that engage the proper techniques for singing, which may or may not be present, and may or may not have been used for speaking during the day.

Breathing exercises that engage diaphragmatic breathing and that help attune the singer to the position of the soft palate are helpful. I use a breathing exercise where the singers draw a breath in through pursed lips (like sucking through a straw) and remind them to inflate from the waist, not the chest. We "suck" in for 4 counts then reverse the direction of the air (without stopping) by hissing out for 8 - 12 counts, then repeating the cycle by sucking in again (and again without stopping the flow of air, just changing direction) and hissing out, always keeping a sense of expansion around the waist on the intake and pressure around the waist on the hiss. If you try the "soda straw suck" you'll notice that there's a sensation of cold air at the back of the throat. This is a good way of sensing a lift of the soft palate.

Another good diaphragm-engaging exercise is to start with an explosive "F" on quarter notes. The sensation is one of puffing out a candle. Have the singers execute a series of these "F's", feeling a "punch" from the muscles along the front of the belly. (Have them put their hand on their belly, just above the belly button.) Switch to "T" then back to "F". Then add "K", then back to "T" and "F". If they feel their belly move on "F" but not on "K" or "T", they're not using their diaphragm to support these explosive consonants.

A good "soft palate" engager is "hung-ee-aw," closing off on the "ng" right away by closing off the back of the throat with the back of the tongue. The jaw should be dropped and relaxed. Opening to the "ee" is achieved by simply relaxing the tongue so it pulls away from the back of the palate. The "aw" then opens the throat with the palate lifted. Again, the jaw should be slack. I do the "hung-ee-aw" on the 5th scale degree, with a descending scale on "aw" (5-4-3-2-1), then repeat up by half-steps.

Finally, may I recommend an exercise, also on a 5-4-3-2-1 scale, with the vowels "mee-meh-maw-moh-moo". This can be done on either all syllables on 5 then down on "moo" or one vowel per descending pitch. Two techniques are mastered here. The first is purity of vowels. Be mindful of the second one, "meh". This is the pure "e" vowel in proper sung Latin. It almost always comes out "ay" as in "May" rather than the pure "eh" as described in the Liber. The other is intonation on the third scale degree. It tends to be very flat. I accompany these, and put lots of internal note-motion in the accompaniment to add to the tuning challenge.

I always try to be sensitive to proper breath support and vowel formation. ISTM that these, along with understanding how the soft palate works are key to good vocal health.

But as I've always said, I don't make any of this stuff up, it's all stuff I've learned from other choir trainers. Any comments are welcomed!
  • That brings up a question that has always plagued me. The vowel for "e" is listed in the Liber and a host of other places as "eh". In the Marier-Turkington Masterclass, they ask for a real "ay" sound. I think the latter sings better if it's not too bright, but what gives?
  • I should also say that "i" is also a problem "ih" verses "ee"
  • Oh, Mike, you can't be serious about the dipthong enunciation directive, are you?
    The purity of Latin vowels in the Roman manner is a major selling point towards unifying a number of choral factors, primarily intonation which begets blend, which begets...and so forth.
    The "ih" problem is simply chorister mental lapse, just listen with intent at rehearsal particularly for the common word "in." Stop and spank 'em for every lapse. They'll get that message soon, because we all know choirs hate to be stopped. Then when they get that for "in" you can monitor the more subtle occasions of the "i" vowel usage.
    As to warmups: Paul Nesheim's grand opus BUILDING BEAUTIFUL VOICES is the most accessible and valuable resource I've ever found, surpassing even Frauke Hasseman's great little book.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Gentlemen all - thank you for your suggestions (not that I won't accept more)! These will be implemented forthwith. I do have one singer who carefully breathes "diaphragmatically" on exercises. Then as we begin the chant, I see her shoulders fly up around her ears. The transfer from the focused practice to the reality of a piece is always difficult (ask me about scales on the harp).

On the "eh" sound, I have a further question. I see that recommended for the Latin "ae." Is that the common understanding? And I will be listening for "in."

May all be beautiful for God in the next three days. And again, my thanks.
  • Yes, Ms. Ballou, for "ae" and "oe" as well.
    Michael,

I agree.

Charles, take a look at AOZ and JT's "Idiot's Guide to Square Notes." It clearly calls for an "ay" (I read, as in "May") rendering of the "e" vowel, contrary to the pronunciation guide in the Liber. I puzzled over this when I first read it last fall, but never remarked on it, as I have great respect for their work otherwise. Perhaps the favoring of "ay" comes from an approach to pronunciation taken from classical Latin. The other vowels seem to be presented in the monograph in line with conventional sung Latin pronunciation.

But, how many times have we heard in that hoary chestnut the Schubert Ave Maria the phrase, "Bay-nay-dihk-toos ihn ventrees tooee"? I seem to dig furrows into the organ bench with my nails when I hear it sung that way.

As for "ae", I ask the choir to favor a brighter "ay" sound, but avoiding at all costs a diphthong.
  • David,
    Do you mean "classical" in the traditional sense: as opposed to ecclesiastical? Or
    in the sense of research recovering an authentic performance practice?
    I'll pick up a copy of Arlene/Jeff's tome ASAP, but in the meanwhile I'll opt for the unambiguous pure vowel accompanied by the relaxed jaw, lowered tongue for the sake of clarity and unison, not to mention quick correction and understanding.
    C
  • AOZ
    Re: "ay" Think of putting your mouth in position to say (or sing) "ay" as in May. But don't add the y or ee sound at the end. We don't want the diphthong. There 's no lack of consistency with the Liber; just a lack of thoroughness in our instruction.

Anyway, it's just a primer, an "idiot's guide," written primarily for Americans who are born diphthongites. But pointing out this inconsistency with the Liber qualifies you as someone who doesn't need an idiot's guide!

thank you!
  • Arlene, off subject but, I regret I won't have the pleasure of introducing my lovely soprano wife Wendy this summer to you, along with some new reds I've discovered from the Central Coast region.
    Charles
  • AOZ
    Charles, we'll miss you!
    Arlene,

Thanks for the clarification!

Believe you me, I find the "Idiot's Guide" a wonderful "refresher" when going for long stretches not doing chant. (As unfortunately happens in suburban parish settings).
  • Arlene, thanks. That does clear up the "e" vowel for me, and it is what I have been doing. The Liber's suggestion is quite misleading. It wants an "e" as in "get" and "met". Not a great singing vowel IMO. Then there is the "i". The Liber wants it to be like "sit". I don't like that much, but what should one do?

Mike
  • mjballoumjballou
    Arlene - We are indeed born dipthongites. Some parts of the country more than others. And you and I know whereof we speak. A friend of mine, named Pat, was startled to find that her name in Tennessee was two syllables. At a Sacred Harp convention, I listened to a charming lady from Alabama talking about upcoming "flowers" for another convention. After 15 minutes, the context made it clear she was discussing "flyers."

A voice teacher once asked me if I intended to make all vowels dipthongs. I replied that I'd give it some thought.
  • JDE
    Singing "eee" for the letter i instead of "ih/fit/what have you" has an unfortunate tendency to nasality. That's why I've switched to teaching it that way myself. Also I favor a brighter "ay" sound, almost like the German vowel in Leben or reden, but it is very difficult to get my singers to leave off that confounded ayyyiiiiiii thing at the end of the vowel.

Pass the wine, please. Well, tomorrow, that is. Not today . . .