Heads up on a move
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    We are moving hosts as fast as we can, the entire site plus the forum, the whole thing. Lots to move, but essential because the current host is not supporting software we need for development. Following the move, we will be undertaking a huge redesign of the site itself - but probably this forum, which is not brilliant but extremely serviceable, will remain as is.

Anyway, I think we can safely assume that we are going to be dealing with some odd behavior for the next 48 hrs or so.
  • chonakchonak
    Anyway, I think we can safely assume that we are going to be dealing with some odd behavior for the next 48 hrs or so.

<insert joke here>
  • CharlesW
    Odd behavior? I thought that was pretty normal for most of us "conservatives." ;-)
    The good thing is that we will have new flexibility to design and developed. But breakage ALWAYS accompanies development.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    this is exciting !
  • Erik P
  • Richard R.
    "...but probably this forum, which is not brilliant but extremely serviceable, will remain as is."

Hey, who says we're not brilliant??
    Ok, so here is the story. In the next 24 hours, at some point, you won't see this note anymore because the new host will display the new site and 24 hours of use of this forum will evaporate. Sorry!

But then: sadly, everythign will look EXACTLY the same as it does now! not terribly exciting. Except that at that point, we'll be in a position to develop (break more things).

Sorry no eye candy yet!
    Once again, don't be surprised to see this forum reverted by 24 hours tomorrow at some point.
  • CharlesW
    Hmmm! A Novus Ordo forum. Now that bears watching. ;-)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Jeffrey: "But then: sadly, everythign will look EXACTLY"

If I understand your post ...
    (1) you have taken a snapshot of the forum up to a certain timestamp
    (2) you load that snapshot into the new host
    (3) you point the world to the new host,
    and we notice some missing stuff
    (4) you take everything newer than the certain timestamp and load it into the new host,
    and the missing stuff appears

Just wanting to be clear ... is "(4)" going to happen (choose one: yes, no).
    perhaps!
  • CharlesW
    Sounds like an occasion calling for a pizza party, you think? We will have to do it at the chapter level.
    If the DNS ever populates! Why hasn't it happened yet? Is there no dance we can do for the gods of the internet?
  • Kathy
    Jeffrey, yes there is such a dance, but I'm afraid this isn't the right liturgical board to find those resources.
  • IanWIanW
    Jeffrey,

I trust the development will maintain an essential continuity?
    No, we are going to start a New Pentecost. ha ha, not really.

ok so the latest thing is that the gods of the domain handling DNS remixing yada yada have said that we will not be released from captivity from the status quo for up to 5 to 7 days or some such. We'll update the DB so no worry about losing stuff.The new thing will be a glorious thing however. The new design will be everywhere and wonderful. Forum, however, will be just as it is now. Everyone kinda likes it.
    [Israel posing as Jeffrey]

If you're reading this post, then the forums (and the whole site) are back up and running...

Thank you for your patience - MusicaSacra.com now has a much better home and a more stable future ;-)
  • Kathy
    Whoa! Sweet!!!
  • CharlesW
    I like the new Pentecost! It looks good.
  • Mary Ann
    Jeffrey T.: Please note discrepancy of $ amount for membership...on Home page article re joining $48 is the amount stated...in the brochure it is $36.
  • rollingrj
    I think everybody will enjoy the change. Navigation is much cleaner and easier. The "Forums" pages are fine as there are. However, when I go from the home page to anywhere else on the site, a new window opens.
    Yes, I look forward to testing it when the moment arrives, which it has no yet for me. I think Alabama is the last on the list.
  • Erik P
    someday I look forward to seeing it
  • eft94530eft94530
    Jeff T: "DNS ever populates! Why hasn't it happened yet?"

Two reasons ...
    globally, the DNS Time To Live (TTL) setting
    might need to be lowered to force re-propagation sooner (at least temporarily).
    personally, some browser setting
    might need to be changed to get a refresh, or clear your cache.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    looks great, but I don't see a COLLOQUIUM tab.....please advise
    Things are starting to stabilize with a wonderful development environment. It is a lovely thing to use. Thanks for the patience everyone! We are getting there!
  • BruceL
    By the way, does the forum seem much slower to anyone else? My office internet connection isn't the greatest, but it was fairly quick with the old one... Just askin'...
  • gregpgregp
    I'm seeing that right now also. Other sites are loading OK.
  • gregpgregp
    Working much better now.
  • BruceL
    ditto
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think the "new" forum does not allow YouTube videos to be embedded.

The old one did.

Can we make this new forum allow Vimeo embeds?