The Weather Forecast, done in Anglican chant...
  • ...makes even a dreadful forecast sound heavenly!

Listen
  • Chris
    That's awesome! Where did you find this?
  • Chris
    Oh, I see it. Mastersingers...

Thanks for posting this. It was really cute.
  • IanWIanW
    Isn't that how US wireless does the weather forecast?
  • mjballoumjballou
    I've always enjoyed this. It would as though the King's Singers were living in your house.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    So, why hasn't anyone with a background in Anglican Chant weighed in with their criticisms regarding the pointing of the chant? (Hehehehe)

Was this pointed according to John Scott's approach, or Stephen Cleobury's, oooorrrr Sir David Willcocks'?

(OK, I'm an Anglophile and a geek. Gimme a break!)
    Thanked by 1ghmus7
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    As I recall, the original 45-rpm recording (circa 1965) had the British Highway Code chanted on the B-side.
  • IanWIanW
    Thanks to Michael Bates and Helen Keating, we have the full story, and a link to The Highway Code. One fascinating slant on the history of 1960's popular music: the record was produced by George Martin, better known for producing the Beatles.
  • lviall
    We were visiting England in 1970 when we came across this recording. My father loved it so much, we bought the 45. He then solemnly delivered it to our local radio station in Warren, Pennsylvania for playback on April Fool's Day during the morning drive news and weather block, for a number of years.
  • GillianGillian
    Years ago [in 1960s] St Mary's Cathedral Choir, Auckland NZ, under Peter Godfrey [A buddy of Sir David Willcock's at King's College Cambridge] sang the NZ broadcast weather forecast with deliberate Maori pronunciation for the Governor General of NZ at a Government House ?garden party? ..... Subsequently recorded. Hilarious.
  • A buddy of...
    Speaking of buddies and 'Sir', Stephen Cleobury is about to be made one (CBE).

As for your Maori accented weather announcement to Anglican chant, we would love to hear it. Have you a recording that you could share?
  • Jackson,

So, apart from Brexit and knighting Sir Stephen, what good has Boris Johnson done?
  • ghmus7
    David Andrew, it is good to hear from you....
  • Why can't I get either link to behave?
  • Chris -

I'm sure that the Boris had nothing to do with the current slate of knighthoods.
    Let us hope that his designs come to naught.
    A pox on his house.
  • jefe
    I'd love to see and hear it but the link only shows Chinese or Korean numes with no sound file.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Jackson

Perhaps we should take this question off-thread, but which of his designs do you wish to come to naught?

Jefe,

Yes, I'm having the same problem.
  • Good work, Giffen.
    These would make a 'fun' warm-up for choirs.
    Now, just add the Maori accent for even greater 'fun'.
  • a_f_hawkins
    And the Highway Code extract rubrics for pedestrians
  • Carol
    CHG I did thank you and then I played this for my mother and went to thank you again and unthanked you.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Also a lot of fun: hearing the Vestry (=parish board) minutes set to Anglican chant. I cannot remember where or when I had this pleasure---it must have been years ago. I think it was at a local conference of some kind. God bless the people involved.