please help me with Marian hymns
  • I know that someone out there can help me. Where do I find a list of the proper Marian hymns to be sung seasonally at the end of Vespers...i.e. Salve Regina, Regina caeli(Easter) and so forth. Thanks, Dale
  • JamJam
    They have them all in the PBC (Parish Book of Chant), if I recall correctly.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Parish Book of Chant, beginning at page 116. Click here.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Oh, and they are actually proper to the end of Compline, but many people (my parish included) sing it following Vespers as well.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I believe this is the correct what-and-when list (corrections welcome):

Alma Redemptoris Mater -- Advent
    Ave Regina Caelorum -- Candlemas to Wednesday of Holy Week
    Regina Caeli -- Easter
    Salve Regina -- Trinity Sunday to Advent
  • dvalerio
    Things are different in the Ordinary and Extraordinary forms of the Roman Rite:

Extraordinary Form
    Alma Redemptoris Mater -- From the 1st Sunday of Advent till the Presentation (February 2)
    Ave Regina Caelorum -- From February 3 till Holy Week
    Regina Caeli -- during Easter Season
    Salve Regina -- from Trinity Sunday till the week after the last Sunday after Pentecost

Ordinary Form
    during Easter Season -- Regina Caeli
    during the rest of the year -- any of the following, ad libitum: Alma Redemptoris Mater; Ave Regina Caelorum; Salve Regina; Sub tuum praesidium
    Sometimes there is a recommended antiphon (e.g. Ave Regina Caelorum on August 15) but this is not compulsory. You are free to use a distribution similar to that of the Extraordinary Form.

The Parish Book of chant gives these antiphons as found in the Liber Usualis (and the 1912 Antiphonale). Steven van Roode's Compline booklet gives these antiphons according to the Monastic use, which is as they are enjoined for the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite by the 1983 Ordo Cantus Officii.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • The Paulist Press Ordo 2022 (Seattle book) says for February 2nd, The Presentation of the Lord: "Beginning tonight, the final anthem at Compline may be Ave, Regina caelorum, through the season of lent" (pg. 51).
  • This is from the Ordinary Form 2006 Antiphonale Monasticum II:

Alma Redemptoris Mater: Up to and including Baptism of the Lord (Pg. 10)
    Ave, Regina caelorum: Monday of Week 1 Ordinary Time to Wednesday of Holy Week (pg. 12)
    Regina caeli: Easter to Pentecost (pg. 13)
    Savle, Regina: After Pentecost (pg. 14)
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, avscvlta: dvalerio (back in 2010) was probably quoting the instructions from the Liturgy of the Hours, which aren't as specific as the Antiphonale Monasticum II.