Alright... fess up.... Who played/sang/endured the song Ashes yesterday?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I confess, to Almighty God, and to you...
  • don roy
    well, no "ashes" (with some minor grousing from the guitar crowd) and i did do the parce Domine nontheless i must fess up to hosea, deep within, and (shuddr shudder) dust and ashes. several centuries in purgatory i know but there really isnt much of a choice in my parish...

little by slowly....
  • I must confess that I experienced one of the most truly Catholic of Masses on Ash Wednesday in my 40 years of being an RC. It was our parochial school Mass that also had parishioners in attendance.
    First of all, I decided that everything would be sung a capella. Secondly, our parochial vicar virtually sang 90% of all the celebrant's orations and collects.
    Introit from sacristy: "Lord, You are merciful to all..." American Gradual/B.Ford
    Entrance Hymn: LORD, WHO THROUGHOUT THESE FORTY DAYS
    "Kyrie eleison" N. Sleeth
    Psalm: Respond and Acclaim "Be merciful, O Lord..." Alstott
    GA: R&A, Alstott
    Offertory: Attende Domine/Have Mercy on us, Lord- plainchant, Latin/English in alternation
    Eucharistic acclamations: N. Sleeth
    Communio: "The man who meditates..." American Gradual/B.Ford
    Hymn: OUT INTO THE WILDNERNESS (B.Hurd)
    Disposition of ashes:"Let the priests and ministers..." American Gradual/B.Ford

The kids sang the hymns and Ordinary movements exceedingly well, as did the parishioners.
    It was wonderful.
  • GavinGavin
    Us piskies don't do that... We actually introduced the Mozarabic Sanctus yesterday. It was a very small service, but it went very well.
  • JamJam
    I didn't get ashes. For us Orthodox, Lent started Sunday night... so all week we've been doing the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete.

My Catholic roommates, though, they all went to a really early Mass that didn't have music, so.
  • Introit:* Lord, you are merciful (7:30 AM); Misereris omnium (6:30 PM)
    Kyrie: XVI
    RS: "Be merciful, O Lord," Mode I
    GA: "Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory," Mode VI responsoria brevia formula
    Imposition of ashes: "Lord, take away our wickedness," Mode I, harmonized, with verses from Psalm 51; responsory "Turn to us with mercy, Lord; we have sinned against you," Mode IV responsoria brevia formula
    Offertory:* I will exalt you (7:30 AM); Exaltabo te (6:30 PM)
    Offertory: O God, let all the nations praise you
    Sanctus: XVIII
    Mem. Acclamation C: Melody based on those used for the new Missal translation
    Our Father: English
    Agnus Dei: XVIII
    Communion:* Those who meditate (7:30 AM); Qui meditabitur (6:30 PM) with verses from Psalm 1 in English
    Communion: Lord, I love your commands (Psalm 119)
    Communion: The King of Love my Shepherd Is (6:30 PM)
    Exit in silence**

* The American Gradual or the Graduale Romanum
    ** 6:30 Mass closed with Eucharistic Exposition with the singing of "O Salutaris" (DUGUET)
  • Blaise
    Bless the Lord, my church does not do that song. We sang "O Lord my God to thee" (tune by Arcadelt) for the distribution of the ashes. I forgot what the communion was, but the clergy and altar servers processed to the minor introit.
  • In two lists above I see a Kyrie programmed... In the OF for Ash Wednesday the penitential rite is omitted (check your Sacramentary), so no Kyrie. The distribution of ashes following the homily serves as the act of repentance. Of course, no reason not to sing a chant or polyphonic Kyrie during the distribution of the ashes (certainly an improvement over "Ashes" and the like). We actually sang the Lotti "Miserere" followed by "Hold Us in Your Mercy"... not ideal, but at least it is based upon "Parce Domine".
  • At our EF Mass, I chanted the Antiphons with NOH accompaniments during the Imposition of Ashes - except cutting short the last part of the "Attnede Domine" section. Offertory hymn was "Again We Keep This Solemn Fast" (Spires), Communion hymn was "Lord Jesus, Think on Me" (Southwell), and Recessional hymn was "Lord, Who Throughout These 40 Days" (St. Flavian). Of course, no pre-/inter-/postlude!
  • j13rice: Thanks for this; noted for next year!
  • I tried something new this year:

For one mass I chanted the "Miserere mei Deus" antiphon out of the Antiphonale (mode 8) with verses of Psalm 51. At and a second Mass, with schola, we sang just the first section of Allegri's Miserere and used this as a repeated antiphon with verses of 51 in between repetitions. I know this is a bit unorthodox, but it worked really well! And it also gave us a taste of the classic piece without having to find a soprano who can hit the high 'c'... which we currently do not have!
  • We relegated "Ashes" to the heap several yrs. ago...gratefully. Schola sang Parce Domine (Latin refrain, English verses, both a cappella) and This Season Calls Us during imposition of ashes, Respond & Acclaim R. Psalm and Gospel acclamation (next Sunday using BMP's Ps 91 from Jeff O's website, tho, yay and thank you!), and cantor sang Communion antiphon only, no verses (brick by brick...). Proulx Community Mass Holy, Mem. Acc., & Amen, Gregorian chant Agnus Dei for Ordinary. Other hymns: Led By the Spirit, Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days, With the Lord, and Lift High the Cross. No prelude/postlude or extraneous "walking music" played during Lent.
  • don roy
    allright. my COMPLETE list is
    open: Lord Who Throughout these 40 days
    psalm respond and acclaim
    gospel accl. mine (published by Canticanova)
    imposition of ashes: parce domine (sung by male schola) followed by dust and ashes
    offertory Adoramus Te (Duboise) (although we do the Gounod setting thats for Sunday)
    communion: deep withen
    closing Jesus remember me
  • eft94530eft94530
    The "ashes" song? It has been too many years and the only text and melody
    I can recall is from my neices: ... ashes, ashes, we all fall down!

(choir receives ashes at end of rehearsal)
    Prelude: -silence-during-Lent-
    Introit: CCH-229: Attende Domine (r=L, v=E)
    Kyrie: Missa XI (orbis factor): chant
    Gloria: -none-during-Lent-
    Readings: 686
    Psalm: (AshWed-C Guimont p 187) Be merciful ...
    Acclamation: (AshWed-C TCBOGA p 26) If today ...
    (Gospel)(Homily)(Ash Blessing)
    Ash Imposition: (ESM p 2)(c1=all,c2=quartet) Miserere: Allegri
    Intercessions: CCH-138: Lord hear our prayer
    Offertory: (ESM p 16)(c1=all,c2=quartet) Miserere: Allegri
    Sanctus-Mem-Amen: Missa XI (orbis factor): chant
    Agnus Dei: Missa XI (orbis factor): chant
    Communion Hymn: Gregorian Missal Proper followed by SUP-851: Draw Near And Take
    Final Hymn: -no-final-hymn-on-Ash-Wed-
    Postlude: -silence-during-Lent-

CCH == Catholic Community Hymnal
    TCBOGA == The Cantor Book Of Gospel Acclamations
    ESM == European Sacred Music
    SUP == Supplement
  • CharlesW
    No "Ashes" We did, instead:

Prelude: Parce, Domine + Kelly introit - "Lord, you are merciful to all" + Gloria Patri, mode 1
    Entrance: "Lord Who Throughout These 40 Days."
    Psalm and Gospel acclamation from the hymnal
    Distribution of Ashes: Attende, Domine + "A lamb Goes Uncomplaining Forth" + "Jesus, I Will Ponder Now"
    Offertory: Exaltabo te" from AUG + "Lord, for Thy Tender Mercy's Sake."
    Mass Ordinary: Mass XVIII
    Communion: Kelly antiphon "The man who meditates day and night"
    Hymn: "Gifts of Finest Wheat"
    Recessional: "Again, We Keep This Solemn Fast"
  • don roy
    hi guys
    me again and i apologize in advance for sidetracking this thread but im experiencing a bit of unease at these lists.
    i searve a parish that is just starting its journey towards the reform. In the 3 years ive been there, ive been very proud of the distance the parish and its music has improved. part of the reason ive been able to effect some positive change is because i work with what i have. ( the hymn Lord who thoughout these 40 days was unknown for example and believe me, is a victory) This means doing Haas et al and doing it as prayerfully and beautifully as i can (which usually means major harmonic surgery but I digress.)
    Now, my list as posted above is a good reflection of where my parish is but not where they have been nor where they're going. If you possess the sins of pride and quick to judge as musch as I do just please be kind.
  • eft94530eft94530
    don roy, patience and courage!
    The list I posted is possible due to two consecutive supportive pastors,
    a thirteen-plus year journey so far.
  • don Roy- I finished with Jesus remember me also. Not always liking Taize, but that one connects with the congregation and the choir- we always finish with at least one verse a capella and in parts. For Imp of Ashes, we sang Parce Domine for the first time this year, and Attende Domine- Latin refrain this time, and verses in English. I'm going to use these two hymns all during Lent in varioius places in the Liturgy and will sing them in Latin when sung by choir alone.
    God so loved the world for Prep Comm- Eat this bread, followed by Durufle Ubi Caritas. Entrance- the Glory of these 40days. Haugen setting of P51 and Proulx GosAcc from Cantors book of Gos Acc pub by GIA

Donna Swan
  • CharlesW
    Don roy, there's nothing to judge. My parish has a tradition of decent music going back 100 years. Oh, we have had interludes when the music has tended toward schmaltzy, but in the grand scheme of things, they didn't last too long and everyone recovered. You start from where you are and work with what you've got, with a goal in mind. That's all anyone can do.
  • No "Ashes" here in the desert at either Mass, although I did have a parishioner approach me after the 6 PM and ask me whether, since the previous pastor retired, I was going to start having Praise and Worship music again. (Simple answer: "No." Apparently she thought that I was only singing more traditional music to please Father.) Oh, and some woman came in 20 minutes after the last Mass, when our current priest had already gone home, to basically DEMAND she be given ashes.

But to the music we go:

Entrance: "Have Mercy, Lord, on Us"
    (no offertory)
    Imposition: Parce, Domine (antiphon only, alternating with English)
    Communion: "Draw Near, O Lord"
    Recessional: "The Glory of These Forty Days"
  • OF
    Before Mass
    Lenten Prose - English - as Congregation Enters - they sing Antiphon, Choir sings verses
    Mass
    Introit - English - Gregorian Psalm Tone - Men's Schola
    Psalm - Anglican Chant - Women's Schola SSA
    Gospel Acclamation - English - Gregorian Psalm Tone
    Imposition of Ashes - O Sacred Head Surrounded - English - Choir
    Offertory Verse - English - Gregorian Psalm Tone - Men's Schola
    Sanctus - Latin - Gregorian Chant - All
    Acclamation & Amen - English - Gregorian Chant - All
    Agnus Dei - Latin - Gregorian Chant - All
    Communion Verse - English - Gregorian Psalm Tone - Men's Schola
    Ave Verum - Latin - Women's Schola
    Communion Meditation - We The Lord's People - DECATUR PLACE - All
  • 3 Masses with music.

No prelude music.
    Introit Hymn: Text based on actual introit ERHALT UNS HERR
    Psalm: Guimont
    GA: Gardner
    Sanctus: Latin Chant, Mass XVIII
    Acclamation: Sacramentary
    Amen: Simple
    Pater: Chant, Snow
    Agnus Dei: Latin Chant, Mass XVIII
    Communion: Attende Domine (Refrain sung in Latin and then in English with verses in English)
    Silent Recessional

10 a.m. School Mass
    Imposition of Ashes: Deep within, Remember your love
    Off: Return to God
    Communion: Adoramus Te, Joncas

5:30 p.m. Schola
    Imposition of Ashes: Antiphon, Exaudi nos; Parce Domine with verses
    Offertory: A Lenten Prayer, A.Salieri (Hopson)

7:30 p.m. Choral
    Imposition of Ashes: Antiphon, Exaudi nos; Miserere Mei Deus, Allegri
    Offertory: A Lenten Prayer, A.Salieri (Hopson)

All orations, preface acclamations, greetings and blessings sung recto tono
  • Should have said we sing Chant Mass in Latin during Lent.

Donna
  • francis
    OF
    Introit - English - Koerber adaptation of the Anglican Graduale (a cappella - available on this forum)
    Entrance Hymn - These Forty Days - with organ
    Gospel Acclamation - English - Koerber (available on this forum a cappella)
    Imposition of Ashes - Attende Domine (English and Latin a cappella)
    Offertory Verse - Parce Domine (English and Latin a cappella)
    Sanctus - Latin - Gregorian Chant - All a cappella
    Acclamation & Amen - spoken
    Agnus Dei - Latin - Gregorian Chant - All a cappella
    Communion Proper - English (composer on this forum?) a cappella
    Communion (English) Psalm 1 - (Gregorian Psalm Tone - Grail Translation) a cappella
    Closing Hymn - Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days - with organ
  • JDE
    Fortunately no one has ever even asked me to do "Ashes," so that is one 'tradition' I've been spared from stamping out.

Prelude: "Ach Herr, mich armen Sünder" (first setting) - Pachelbel
    Entrance: "The Glory of these Forty Days" (tutti)
    Kyrie: Mass XVI. Cantor alternating with everyone else.
    Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 51 from ( . . . ingemisco tamquam reus . . . ) "Respond and Acclaim"
    Gospel Acclamation: also from "Respond and Acclaim." This is the one to the tune of "Mary had a little lamb."
    Imposition of Ashes: Solo motet, "Like as a Father pitieth his Children" by David Davis (19th c.)
    Also during ashes: No. 4 from Six Consolations - Franz Liszt (what can I say? I have a performance degree, and we have a really nice piano. And the piece is perfectly in character, not one of Liszt's virtuoso showpieces.)
    Sanctus and Anamnesis: from a Mass setting I wrote in 1994. Unison with assembly.
    Amen: Recto tono.
    Agnus Dei: Mass XVII, but with English text. Also available on this forum somewhere.
    Music during Communion: Solo motet, "Pour out your Heart before the Lord," from the oratorio "Abraham" by Bernard Molique (1802-1869). The text reads, "Pour out thy heart before the Lord; Lift up thy hands unto him, for he will not despise the afflicted and them that are of a broken heart; and though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies. Pour out your heart &c."
    Recessional Hymn: ( . . . culpa rubet vultus meus . . . ) "We Will Rise Again." (Dodging tomatoes at this point.)

We are making progress -- baby steps. The contemporary ensemble sang with us last night, and that is why there were no choral pieces other than the chant. A few years ago, they would never have dreamt of singing chant with us, but they are getting pretty comfortable with it despite the passive-aggressive whispers from their director. There's nothing like a little well-poisoning, you know?

Fortunately when they are exposed to chant the prayer pours out God's grace on them, and they realize that I am not some hydrophobic musical Jansenist, but instead have been telling (and selling) the truth for years, crying in the desert as it were; and then their hearts are softened.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. All I can do is keep presenting the Sacred, Beautiful and Universal and letting them come to the ineluctable conclusions.
  • We used very simple vernacular proper parts, sung presidential parts, Parce Domine, and a smattering of Spanish Lenten music (much of which was quite nice--scriptural, theological, antiphonal, and a cappella).

It might not seem very edifying compared to the great lists above, but considering we had over 20 services (4 of them masses) between 7am and 9pm...it worked!
  • Father Spencer--
    If I had 20 services in 14 hours I'd be in the loony bin by 10:15! Hope you survived!
    Our Ash Wednesday was fairly standard and thankfully lacking of 'Ashes' ( I think I would have been fired if it had reared its ugly head.)
    Pre: silence
    Pro: These 40 Days Of Lent
    Psalm/Acc.--Respond and Acclaim
    Ashes: Saviour, When In Dust To Thee (Aberystwyth)
    By The Babylonian Rivers (Kas Dziedaja)
    Community Mass
    Comm: Christians Let Us Love
    Rec: The Glory Of These 40 Days
  • rogue63
    No "Ashes" at my school Mass, Deo Gratias! Although it had been done by the previous music teacher.....along with all the other usual suspects.

(still using hymns, but working towards propers)
    Processional: Lord Who Throughout/ST FLAVIAN
    Psalm: Chabanel 1342
    Gospel Accl: Chabanel 6042
    Imposition of Ashes: Parce Domine;Latin antiphon w/English verses
    Offertory: Take Up Your Cross/ERHALT UNS HERR
    Sanctus: Missa XVIII
    Agnus Dei: Missa XVIII
    Communion Proper: from R. Rice's Simple Choral Gradual, soprano line only (this was, perhaps, the first time in forty years that a Communion proper has been sung at this school Mass, so a major step forward here)
    Communion Hymn: O Sun of Justice/JESU DULCIS MEMORIA
    Recessional: The Glory of the Forty Days/ERHALT UNS HERR

I have a supportive pastor and an excellent organist/music director to work with, so the future only gets brighter----we're planning to join the school choir and adult choir during the Easter season for Christus Vincit!
  • BruceL
    I'm glad someone hit on the penitential rite change for Ash Wednesday. Much as Good Friday, I really have to be on top of my missal to catch that one!

3 Masses with music

School Mass:

Ent.: Led by the Spirit (Kingsfold/B. Hurd text)
    Psalm: Antiphon from Gelineau collection, verses to Weber Psalm Tone
    GA: "Praise and Honor" Proulx arr. of Kyrie Orbis Factor
    Ashes: Attende Domine, w/English verses
    Offertory: Show us your mercy
    Sanctus: From Englert "Mass of Hope" (Collegeville Hymnal)
    MA & Amen: Sacramentary
    Agnus: XVIII
    Communion: Save your people, O Lord
    Closing: Lord, who throughout

For the school Mass, we are really going "brick by brick". We don't have a worship aid, so I'm limited to what's in the red OCP kid's hymnal and Breaking Bread.

Parish Masses (Choir mass at 7PM in ())

(Entrance Antiphon: Kelly)
    Entrance Hymn: The glory of these 40...
    Psalm: Gelineau
    GA: "Praise and Honor" Proulx arr. of Kyrie
    Ashes: Attende Domine
    (Offertory: Wash me throughly, S.S. Wesley. I know this is a little much, but...it is Psalm 51!)
    S&AD: Mass XVIII
    MA & Amen: Sacramentary
    Communion: Parce Domine
    Closing: Lord, who throughout

Normally, we at least sing Entrance and Communion antiphons in addition to a hymn, but I dropped the ball this year at communion...

By the way, if anyone is looking for an arrangement of the entrance for 1st Sunday Lent, Fr. Weber has a great one whose antiphon is based on "Picardy". Everyone seems to sing it well.