Kevin Allen's Kyrie (Missa Paenitentialis) now online [YouTube]
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

If you are looking for an easy, short, beautiful, SATB Kyrie, you might look at this piece by Kevin Allen:

Kyrie • MISSA PAENITENTIALIS (2010 composition by Kevin Allen) • [practice files for each voice part]

PRACTICE FILES (YouTube & Mp3) are provided by Corpus Christi Watershed for each voice part (to assist the struggling parish choir).

Here is a sample:

--[o]-- --[o]-- --[o]-- --[o]-- --[o]-- --[o]-- --[o]-- --[o]-- --[o]--

Kevin Allen • MISSA PAENITENTIALIS • Kyrie

Kevin Allen's music is also prominent in THIS MOVIE. For instance, during the opening credits, Kevin Allen's Tantum Ergo is sung.

N.B. Brother Matthew Spencer's Caecilia fonts work EXCEPTIONALLY well with Sibelius!
  • Wow, wow, wow. Exceptional work all around.
  • Very nice! I hope we can use it for Holy Thursday
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    neat!

If you do use it, please let Kevin know!
  • This is beautiful. Everything the man writes is beautiful. My choir has been living with "Tantum Ergo" all year (looking forward to singing it at the conclusion of the procession on Holy Thursday), and previously we have sung "O God Be All My Love" and "Subvenite" from his Requiem. I've been enjoying working through his wonderful organ preludes based on familiar chants. If you're a music director, get in contact with him and sing his music. It sounds complex, mysterious and beautiful, but actually he leads the individual voices expertly, and I've found pitches and counting come quickly leaving more time to work on the fun musical stuff.
  • <p class="shameless-plug">Those of you with Facebook accounts, please consider following Kevin's fan page if you haven't done so already. Those of you who are already fans, please share his work with others and encourage them to follow his page as well. Help spread the word!</p>
  • As a follow-up, saw/heard this Kyrie this afternoon, handed it to the choir tonight at rehearsal. They loved the idea of the polyphonic Kyrie/Christe the third time. The congregation chant melody is learned after one repetition. We'll be using this after one or two more weeks of rehearsal. Beautiful!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Kevin's part writing is absolutely astounding --- and mysterious. It's one thing to look at his works on paper, and another to experience singing them! Amazing stuff. Somehow, the choir picks up Kevin's lines so fast, and sings IN TUNE!