That Combe book
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Hey, Amazon doesn't have the Combesbook on Solesmes in stock. Is it out of print?
    oh I guess it is still available from CUA press -- probably the only university press in the world that doesn't try to maintain a relationship with Amazon.
    Oh wait! CUA says that it is out of print! Astounding. I wonder who holds the rights.
    Ok, so I'm the only member of this thread but I'm commenting anyway. Starting to make inquiries about reprinting.
  • IanWIanW
    ?
    Am I really that unclear? Probably. My point is that this definitive book on the history of solesmes is out of print and completely unavailable. You can click on the links above and see the entries. Now looking into reprinting it from the CMAA.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Jeffrey:
    I'm certainly interested in a reprint edition.
    thanks.
    Mary
  • Jevoro
    I bought this book recently in french. Quite exspencive (it must be out of print in France, too). Terrible, the history it tells us about. Worse than the fight about grace between catholics and protestants in the 16th. I was ill when i had finished up the book.
  • IanWIanW
    Jeffrey,

You're a model of clarity. I just didn't like to see you all alone on the thread, but had nothing useful to say.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I rather enjoyed watching Jeffrey talk to himself. And it sounds like an interesting book. If it's located, can we look for a review? I read a biography of Justine Ward years ago and it was fascinating. There was a wonderful energy in the Catholic "renaissance" of the late 19th and early 20th century in England, France, and the USA.
    IamW, just to show you how scattered I am sometimes, I thought at first you wrote that I am a model of charity -- which surprised me. Well, I must say that a model of clarity surprises me too.

Anyway, I have feelers out on this.

This book is one of those oddball items that, I suspect, will be hard to establish precisely who owns what. Was the translation work for hire? Or a new creation? It really matters. Then, it turns out, that the translator died in the middle of the project and it was variously finished by two others, and so on. In these cases, the owner usually ends up being the one who makes the most passionate claim. So we can see that copyright is not a model of clarity (or charity!). In any case, with CUA declaring it out of print, there is hope.
  • Jevoro
    May be the documents of St Wandrille (Dom Potier's Abbey) has been introduced in the english version. In the french one, Dom Combe regrett to have got them too late.