Where do you get the readings on a weekday?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

Where do you get the readings on a weekday?

Feb. 5 is the Memorial of Saint Agatha, virgin and martyr

What is the Responsorial Psalm?

The St. Agatha MEMORIAL Resp. Psalm is Ps. 31 ("Refrain: Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit")

But the Resp. Psalm of the DAY is this:

Responsorial Psalm
    18:31, 47 and 50, 51
    R. (see 47b) Blessed be God my salvation!
    God’s way is unerring, the promise of the LORD is fire-tried; he is a shield to all who take refuge in him.
    2 .The LORD live! And blessed be my Rock! Extolled be God my savior.
    Therefore will I proclaim you, O LORD, among the nations, and I will sing praise to your name.
    3. You who gave great victories to your king and showed kindness to your anointed, to David and his posterity forever.

If the readings of the DAY are read, must the Resp. Psalm of the DAY be sung?

If the readings of the MEMORIAL are read, must the Resp. Psalm of the MEMORIAL be sung?

Here is what a priest wrote me, but seems to imply that the readings of the MEMORIAL can only be used on a special Mass.

For a special Mass one may read the special readings of the feast.
    Modern liturgists try to insist on the weekday readings but they are not
    necessarily correct in doing this.
  • Ah, Liturgists!
    Not necessarily correct indeed!
    There is so much that these chic, self-appointed non-authorities are not correct about.
    I have only been impressed that they don't know much except what they make up that is not grounded on anything but their own concocted trendiness.
  • dvalerio
    Have you read §§ 357-358 from the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, and §§ 83-84 from the General Introduction to the Lectionary?

> If the readings of the DAY are read, must the Resp. Psalm of the DAY be sung?
    > If the readings of the MEMORIAL are read, must the Resp. Psalm of the MEMORIAL be sung?

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is yes, as the psalm is supposed to be related to the reading it follows. (Sorry, I can't find now a reference backing this up.)
  • The problems for us musicians is multifaceted. If the saint is an Optional memorial, the current rubrics allow for inserting the Prayers only, and maybe the Preface, but leaving the Feria Readings. There are websites with the Readings, but they don't include the Gospel Acclamation (AKA Alleluia verse - a current misnomer).

The newspring Missalettes are only a bit of help - they choose for you what the Readings are. If the Celebrant wants to use the saint's Mass, then I need to check the Lectionary to sing the correct verse. Many of the saints only have selections from the Common of Saints, and the Missalettes don't seem to even know about them.

Also, some of the Optional Memorials are only to have one Mass said, and the Feria used the rest of the day. (I'm not positive about this, but that's what I've been told.)

I even asked someone (be email) at the USCCB why the daily Readings they have posted do not include the Gospel Acclamation. I was told that there are too many options for them to lest them all. I disagreed with them - the Lectionary, which they have mandated, has one prescribed for every day.
  • http://www.usccb.org/nab/

No Gospel Acclamation though. I get that from the Daily Missal
  • Right! That's the page I questioned in an email. Whoever is in charge of the page just doesn't get it. The ONLY time there are options in the Lectionary for the Gospel Acclamation is when the Optional Memorial of a Saint sends one to the Common of Saints. EVERY other set of Readings does have a specified Alleluia verse PRINTED IN THE BOOK. But I can't afford to own one of those large books. So I have to visit the Sacristy every once in a while to make note of the upcoming verses. I print them up in MSWord (2 weeks at a time), and it would be much more convenient to C&P from an internet source!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    thanks!
  • What they mean by too many options is that people just use whatever the hymnal gives for the Alleluia they picked, which is probably metrical.
  • BruceL
    @Steve: I know the translation is coming soon, but those verses are also in the MTF/OSV Daily Roman Missal. Much handier size.

@ Jeff: isn't it an option to use the common seasonal psalms in this case?
  • I just got a full Daily Missal -- all years -- for $28.
  • Could someone, in their mercy, create a simple flow chart that distills and explains all the posts above?