HTML shortcuts for those who are not very computer-literate
  • marajoymarajoy
    I thought it might be nice to compile these all into a single easily-searchable location.

click off the "text" option

to link to a picture already online

to mark off someone else's text as a quotation, you can use HTML tags such as ... or ... around the quoted material.
    italics
    bold
    strikethrough

Please add others as you think of them, or ask here so it's all in the same place! thanks!
  • francis
    Typical link to a downloadabe file:

download
  • marajoymarajoy
    what do you write for just a link, where the web address is www.whatever.com but you want it to come up on the page as "click here"?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Here's how you make a click here sort of link.

Be sure that you select "format comments as Html," below. Note in particular the use of quotes around the URL.
  • When you need space!

embed your file here

Mandee
  • chonakchonak
    How to indent a lengthy quotation:

<blockquote>Here's the quoted text.</blockquote>

The result looks like this:
    Here's the quoted text.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood

You want a bulleted list
    <ul>
    <li>Item one</li>
    <li>item two</li>
    <li>itewm three</li>
    </ul>

You want a numbered list
    <ol>
    <li>Item one</li>
    <li>item two</li>
    <li>itewm three</li>
    </ol>

You want a lettered list
    <ol type="A">
    <li>Item one</li>
    <li>item two</li>
    <li>itewm three</li>
    </ol>

Looks like:

You want a bulleted list
    • Item one
    • item two
    • itewm three

You want a numbered list
    1. Item one
    2. item two
    3. itewm three

You want a lettered list
    1. Item one
    2. item two
    3. itewm three
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    With the new software installed, it is not clear just what HTML features are enabled (not that it was all that clear before!). Clearly, some of the above hints do not work. And, thanks to the ability to preview ones posts, I've found that "span style=..." doesn't seem to work, nor does BBCode. It would be very helpful to forum contributors to have an accurate list of what works and what doesn't.
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • francis
    love the feature where a URL automatically formats itself into a clickable link into a blank page! no coding needed from user! bravo!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Okay, I don't seem to understand or be able to make the "quote" and "spoiler" features(?) work. Any help would be appreciated.
  • chonakchonak
    The "quote" feature is supposed to indent a block of material. I'm not sure that it actually works.

The "spoiler" feature is supposed to temporarily hide part of your post, but let the reader reveal it later. This would be used in discussions of movies, for example, in cases where one wish to temporarily hide plot details.

Overall, this editor seems even less functional than the fancier one. Maybe I should switch back to the most basic one!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I was beginning to like the fancier one, even though I think I only got to use it once or twice! :)