Easy (but BEAUTIFUL) SATB canon with practice parts & score online [composer: W. Croft]
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

I owe a lot to the students at Benedictine University in Atchison, KS. They introduced me to one of the most BEAUTIFUL, yet SIMPLE, SATB canons I've ever heard!!!

I don't know how I went 27 years without ever hearing this amazing piece!!!!!!

Please consider trying it at Mass, with even an "amateur" SATB choir:

William Croft (1678-1727) LAUDATE DOMINUM Canon

That link provides YouTubes, PDF scores, and Mp3's that I feel will really make it easy on your singers

Warning!! BE CAREFUL!! • once you get this tune in your head, you won't be able to get it out!!!
  • Translation: "Praise the Lord, praise, because the Lord is good. Sing his name, because it is sweet."

Besides the obvious possibility of using it as a communion motet, it looks like a really good "first taste" of polyphony for the aspiring choir, with a range that'll challenge the untrained sopranos and tenors.

And kudos for putting together all the learning resources, Jeff — just excellent.
  • We read through this on Thursday and liked it very much. It's not Obrecht but it is good material.
  • Wow, very nice!

I especially like the fact that I can use this to practice my bass line. =)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I'm really glad you like this LAUDATE DOMINUM, and the practice versions for each SATB part.

Here's an example of one of the practice clips we put up (EQUAL VOICES):

EQUAL VOICES
  • I just showed the site to a choir director friend of mine and he was excited. For beginning choirs (such as his) this is an invaluable resource

He and I thank you for all the good work!
  • Heath
    My goodness, that's lovely! Thanks, Jeff!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I have a feeling our Schola is going to be singing this piece for a long time . . . they did really well at practice tonight.
  • Heath
    Jeffrey T., what Obrecht piece(s) are you referring to?
  • Blaise
    Absolutely stunning, and a superior quality recording as well.
  • Mr. Z
    Nicely put together, Jeff, and a boon, especially, as someone else mentioned already, for the novice choir. Kudos.
  • I gave this to the choir director at Lewis U last week--more music needed for our "Te Deum"- themed concert in late April. Looks like it will make it on the program.
    I'll send out the link to the practice parts: hope the basses will lighten up!