For those who may be in the position to plan Confirmation Masses
  • Here is a list of proper chants for the Ordinary-Form Confirmation Mass, as found on p. 644 of the Graduale Romanum/Triplex. Translations and citations are included.
  • Maureen
    That's really great stuff.

You work very hard and are very generous to all of us out here, you know? I just thought I'd get that said.
  • Thanks, Aristotle, for the English translations of these antiphons.

The rite itself, the new Roman MIssal, and the lectionary have additional texts, which I have posted before and post here again. I can provide the Latin originals, if you are interested.

There is one amazing text that I draw your attention to: the communion antiphon.

Missale Romanum, p. 983:
    Quicumque illuminati estis, qui gustavistis donum caeleste, et participes facti estis Spiritus Sancti, gaudete omnes in Domino.

Rite of Confirmation §58:
    All you who have been enlightened, who have experienced the gift of heaven and who have received your share of the Holy Spirit: rejoice in the Lord. (See Hebrews 6:4)

When I first read this, I could not believe my eyes. Having read Hebrews many times (it is my favorite NT book), I had never seen this passage. This is because, as I discovered, the original is in the negative (see below). I love the way the Church mines the scriptures for these hidden jewels!

Ad Hebraeos 6
    1Quapropter intermittentes inchoationis Christi sermonem, ad perfectiora feramur, non rursum jacientes fundamentum pœnitentiæ ab operibus mortuis, et fidei ad Deum, 2baptismatum doctrinæ, impositionis quoque manuum, ac resurrectionis mortuorum, et judicii æterni. 3Et hoc faciemus, si quidem permiserit Deus. 4Impossibile est enim eos qui semel sunt illuminati, gustaverunt etiam donum cæleste, et participes facti sunt Spiritus Sancti, 5gustaverunt nihilominus bonum Dei verbum, virtutesque sæculi venturi, 6et prolapsi sunt; rursus renovari ad pœnitentiam, rursum crucifigentes sibimetipsis Filium Dei, et ostentui habentes. 7Terra enim sæpe venientem super se bibens imbrem, et generans herbam opportunam illis, a quibus colitur, accipit benedictionem a Deo: 8proferens autem spinas ac tribulos, reproba est, et maledicto proxima: cujus consummatio in combustionem.

9Confidimus autem de vobis dilectissimi meliora, et viciniora saluti: tametsi ita loquimur. 10Non enim injustus Deus, ut obliviscatur operis vestri, et dilectionis, quam ostendistis in nomine ipsius, qui ministrastis sanctis, et ministratis. 11Cupimus autem unumquemque vestrum eamdem ostentare sollicitudinem ad expletionem spei usque in finem.

Hebrews 6
    Therefore let us go on towards perfection, leaving behind the basic teaching about Christ, and not laying again the foundation: repentance from dead works and faith towards God, 2instruction about baptisms, laying on of hands, resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgement. 3And we will do this, if God permits. 4For it is impossible to restore again to repentance those who have once been enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6and then have fallen away, since on their own they are crucifying again the Son of God and are holding him up to contempt. 7Ground that drinks up the rain falling on it repeatedly, and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. 8But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is worthless and on the verge of being cursed; its end is to be burned over.

9 Even though we speak in this way, beloved, we are confident of better things in your case, things that belong to salvation. 10For God is not unjust; he will not overlook your work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do. 11And we want each one of you to show the same diligence, so as to realize the full assurance of hope to the very end, 12so that you may not become sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
  • Thanks for this, Dr. Ford — I was so intent on getting things "on paper" that I neglected to search for previous discussions/others' efforts on this topic!

To rectify that omission, here is a list of previous discussions about Confirmation on this forum — more accurately, all discussions that have the word "Confirmation" in the topic line.

And thank you, Maureen, for the kind words.