Brave schola director posts live parish recording
  • This is from last week, live in liturgy. we are singing Domine non sum dignus, by Victoria. Sorry about the coughs etc. etc., oh and change dropping into the offering basket. Obviously not professional and blah blah blah. But here you go.

We are 10 singers, no one paid (you might think, for good reason, ha!)
  • congrats, Jeffrey!
  • How very nice... wish I could come and sing with you! Good luck on your upcoming workshop!
  • Carl DCarl D
    I got a very nice portable recorder (a Zoom H2) and have been recording Masses and workshops. It's a very useful tool, as I hear a lot of additional things (both good and bad) which aren't apparent when I'm singing. I have also put clips on our website, so the schola members can more clearly hear what I'm talking about.

A very useful tool!
  • IanWIanW
    Jeffrey/Arlene/the rest of you,

Congratulations!
  • Thank you! We were actually very pleased but of course no non-professional recording sounds right to our ears that are used to to near perfection in our CD collection.
  • Blaise
    Very beautiful, thank you for posting it!
  • ghmus7
    Thank you! Very nice.
  • Nicely done, Jeffrey.
    Please, could you provide step-by-step directions on how to post WAV or mp3 files onto the forum site.
    Gratias,
    Chaz
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    WARNING ----- WARNING

SOME PEOPLE get bad results by clicking the PLAY button:
    if you hear messed up sound, please click DIRECTLY on the link (directly on the file) and it should sound fine

Here is my contribution to "brave schola director submits live recording" (My goodness, this takes guts!!)

ADORAMUS TE CHRISTE
    Recorded by our Schola Cantorum (Corpus Christi, Texas) at rehearsal on March 16, 2009

AVE MARIA
    Recorded by our Schola Cantorum (Corpus Christi, Texas) at rehearsal on March 16, 2009

O SACRUM CONVIVIUM (some tuning issues)

Finally, here is this SANCTUS taken from a rehearsal for this project

Here is an article about how to link to a URL, although I am not sure how familiar the author is to readers of this forum (wink):

great article by a famous author

cheat code =
  • Carl DCarl D
    Do I have the courage? Well, here's my contribution.

Adoramus Te

This is the first time our schola has ever done a song in parts. It was a challenge!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Having been threatened with an early death by the author of the aforementioned article, I shall review the instructions and post something after this evening's vespers.

And that first time in parts is always thrilling. Congratulations to Carl D and company.
  • Guadalupe
    Here's my young choir's first attempt at anything approaching polyphony; this was recorded at rehearsal.

imageAdoramus Te, attributed to Palestrina
  • Hugh
    Great stuff, Jeffrey, et al. God bless for Holy Week & Easter
  • francis
    Guadalupe

That is a great piece. My choir is working that one now. Our arrangement is a little different. Our arrangement is from cpdl and attributed to Rosselli.
  • Guadalupe
    Francis,

I love it, too. My arrangement was also from CPDL. It says it's attributed to Palestrina, but the ascending chromatic bass line tells me it's been modified at some point. I know I've heard it with a more "Palestrina-like" bass.

I'm just so proud of my choir because they're college students, and the most eager-to-please singers I've ever met. People my age (40's) tend to be more jaded, in my opinion. But this whole experience of organist/choir director (and I have NO experience directing a choir - I haven't had my first choral conducting classes yet!) has been one of the most satisfying things I've ever done, particularly mentoring the college students. The good performance is just the icing on the cake.

I'll be attending the Sacred Music Colloquium for the first time this year, and I know I'll gain invaluable information about all of this.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Guadalupe--

your schola is great!

Mary
  • Jeff O -- thanks for the recordings and the link to the article. I just broke down and ordered a book about html code last week when I was quite embarrassed by finding out how simple this linking thing really is and realizing my own ignorance was holding me back.

Guadalupe -- thank you for your recordings...

Alas, my little schola isn't ready for polyphony... but our chant is coming along. Perhaps someday...
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Ahhh . . . there's nothing like posting recordings of Schola practice for the world to hear . . . and tear to shreads . . .

Here is a recording I took at last night's practice:

A piece we are learning, with added verses from GRADUALE SIMPLEX and Dr. Ford's BFW

Here is the Polyphonic Score

Any comments (negative or positive) are welcome. Our Schola has members aged 6 - 60.
  • don roy
    I truly love CMAA!!! and am an awe of all of you!
    (You'll notice I havent put anything on yet-although im trying to convince myself to do so. Its daunting after hearing all of you!)
  • Carl DCarl D
    Well done, Jeff! And congratulations to the schola.

Yes, it takes courage to put that out there for everyone. May we all help each other build that courage.
  • Very nicely done. Kudos!
  • Kathy
    Charles, if you're like me, the step that you're missing is having a site that hosts the files.
  • francis
    I can host files if any needs to for a few bucks a month ( you would have your own account)
  • Kathy
    http://hymnographyunbound.blogspot.com/2009/12/communio-for-all-saints-beati-mundo.html
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    A Link to Kathy's

Congrats on this! Beautifully done --- nice vocal quality! Please consider posting the Mp3 on St. Isaac Jogues.
  • Jeff, that's the most beautiful sound in the world - children chanting.
  • Kathy
    I get to hear them all the time. It's incredibly rewarding.
  • Well,

I will jump in, here are some file from my beginner chant group - Maria Regina Caeli Schola. Offered 1st. Sunday of Advent, the third time we have assisted at Mass.

Veni, Veni Emmanual

Kyrie XI.

Qui Manducat

Maria Regina Caeli Schola
  • Aga
    Here is Introit from the first Sunday of Advent. Our schola started work 4 weeks ago (with the current singers) and all members are not professionals [except the director :) ].
    We sing propers every two/three weeks and every Sunday we support people with singing ordinary of the Tridentine Mass in Lublin, Poland.

We did not have any good sound recorder, so this recording is completely amateurish and unprocessed : Introit.
    And here are some pictures from our masses: Pictures.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Aga, if you guys can sound THAT GOOD in 4 weeks CONGRATS !!!!!!
  • Kathy
    Wow!!! Aga, that is amazingly beautiful!!!
  • Aga
    Thanks for your encouragement. I'll pass your words on to my singers - it will be great joy and motivation for them.
  • Hugh
    Raw and unedited: a live recording from a choir member's wedding we sang at two weeks ago.

1. Surge Amica Mea by Palestrina SATTB

http://www.fidelitybooks.com.au/Hugh/SurgeAmicaMea.mp3

Score on Choral Wiki here: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/sheet/pal_cc16.pdf

Surge, amica mea, speciosa mea et veni,
    columba mea in foraminibus petrae, in caverna maceriae,
    ostende mihi faciem tuam, sonet vox tua in auribus meis:
    vox enim tua dulcis et facies tua decora.

Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the covert of the cliff, show me your face, let your voice sound in my ears;
    for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.

My only comment: we were, of necessity, one to a part on this - I think it's more a big choir piece. (Some parts doubled with brass would be nice. One is permitted to dream.)

2. Ego Flos Campi by Clemens Non Papa SSATTBB

http://www.fidelitybooks.com.au/Hugh/EgoFlosCampi.mp3

Score on Choral Wiki here: http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/sheet/clem-ego.pdf

Ego flos campi et lilium convallium.
    Sicut lilium inter spinas sic amica mea inter filias.
    Fons hortorum et puteus aquarum viventium
    quae fluunt impetu de Libano.

(Bride:) I am the flower of the field and the lily of the valleys.
    (Bridegroom:) As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.
    The fountain of gardens: a well of living waters,
    Which run with a strong stream from Lebanon.

Choir: "Psallamus" - mixed amateur choir for the EF Mass community at St Aloysius' Caulfield, Melbourne, Australia.

Let's keep posting recordings - It's a humbling experience but a great way for us to move forward.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Amazing what you can find online
    now that parishioners have cellphones with cameras,
    and apparently use them during Mass ...

Sat 22 Mar 2008 -- Easter Vigil -- Offertory (alius cantus aptus)

"Awake thou wintry earth" (Cantata 129, J S Bach)
    SATB plus organ arrangement
    found in The New Church Anthem Book
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Church-Anthem-Book-Hundred/dp/0193531097

Fragment (23 seconds) seen and heard here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmWstu7jjYQ
    SATB sung by parish choir,
    some keyboard notes played by a violinist,
    some keyboard notes played by a cellist,
    most keyboard notes played by organist :-)
    (most notes on enclosed flutes of Antiphonal division
    [left of sanctuary clearly visible],
    trumpet notes on Walker digital trumpet of Great division
    [above main entrance barely visible at video beginning left edge]).
  • Hugh-- Way to go! It's great to hear such quality singing coming from a "mixed amateur choir"!

Links to Hugh's recordings:

1. Surge Amica Mea by Palestrina SATTB

2. Ego Flos Campi by Clemens Non Papa SSATTBB
  • Hugh
    Thanks, Adam for the positive comments - and the linking: must learn to do that myself some day.

All the best.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hugh, despite the violent title, you'll want to read this article:

ARTICLE BY A FAMOUS PERSON (violent title)
  • Hugh
    Plucked from the abyss !!

Thanks, Jeff (& Jeff)
  • eft94530eft94530
    Scroll to the top of this Discussion and see ...

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 0 in /homepages/10/d191692424/htdocs/web/forum/extensions/HtmlFormatter/default.php on line 242

Maybe someone needs to check their comment handwritten HTML?

Wisdom! Be attentive!
    Not every link really ought be made clickable,
    especially when your URL to direct traffic to a site
    will provide analytics about the source,
    which in turn might discount your input based on that source.
  • Forgive my internet ignorqnce, but how does one post an audio file like those on here? I have tried through the [ + ] Attachments section listed below but with no success.
  • chonakchonak
    Usually, it works best if you upload the mp3 file to your own web site (e.g., if your Internet provider gives you one along with your account). Then you can just post a link to the file here, and the forum software will automatically decorate it with the "play" button.
  • Ah! Well, I don't have a website and can't afford one so I guess I am up the creek on this. LOL
  • chonakchonak
    A free web site (e.g., from tripod.com) would probably suffice.
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Here's part 1 (other parts also on Youtube) of a small group of which I'm part chanting First Vespers on New Year's Eve. I put the music together following the Liturgy of the Hours using Latin introduction, antiphons and Magnificat, but pointing the psalms and other prayers in English. I based much of it on the tones of Fr. Weber from the Mundelein Psalter.

You may download the booklet here.

It was the first time we've sung vespers and I thought it went well on only 1 hour of rehearsal with myself and one other singer. The rest had the music ahead of time, but we only all sang together for the half hour before the liturgy. The group is (as you can tell) made of men of various degrees of skill, from basically a non-musician to a man with a music degree from St. Olaf. It was a schola made up "of the willing." Overall, I thought it was a success (as did my pastor who chanted with us) and vespers will be repeated in the future, hopefully on a more and more regular basis.

First Vespers of Mary, Mother of God (1 of 4)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I congratulate you: very well done! I especially appreciate the prayerful atmosphere.
  • francis
    Congrats!

Love the book. The Reform of the Reform is truly beginning to take hold.
  • Midnight Mass: children singing Pueri Concinite by Herbeck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA8bJfd6LWw
  • WJA
    From last night's Easter Vigil service at the Church of the Assumption in Nashville:

Exsultet

Offertorio

Communio

Our schola couldn't have sung these pieces, and many others, without the generosity of the CMAA and this forum, in providing the instructional materials for learning chant and the texts and music to sing. Thank you!