Success story: "tone-deaf" priest sings first Missa Cantata...well!
  • Yesterday, Laetare Sunday, St. Matthew's Church in Dix Hills, NY held its first regularly scheduled Missa Cantata in the 100-seat parish chapel that was packed to capacity. Most notably, it was the celebrant's first Missa Cantata he ever celebrated publicly. With some personal coaching and the help of MP3 recordings, he went from describing himself as "tone-deaf" less than two months ago to singing the prayers and readings with authority, confidence and devotion. While most of the celebrant's singing was done recto tono he was able to intone incipits to the Asperges me and Credo III, and sing the entire Pater noster to its traditional melody.

The full music list may be seen on my blog, as well as part one of this priest's journey into sung prayer.

The next High Mass he is scheduled to celebrate is Easter Sunday, again in the parish chapel, and I believe he is looking forward to it. The goal at the parish is to hold High Masses twice a month and on holy days of obligation. Yesterday's Mass proves this goal to be realistic, thanks be to God.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Congratulations on your success with the MP3 recordings! For the last couple of years, I've been making practice recordings of ALL our music. It's not by any means pretty, but I know that several of the schola members continue to rely on that for their practicing.

For Good Friday, we'll see how well this works for a "tone-deaf" Deacon! He's excited to jump in and give it a try.
  • Chris
    That's a great success story, Aristotle. WIth your permission, I'd like to send a copy of your entry to a young seminarian I'm currently voice-coaching. He, too, is self-proclaimed as 'tone deaf.' I think that reading your post would be a great shot-in-the-arm for him!