The Rensselaer Program of Church Music and Liturgy, St Joseph's College, Rensselaer, In
  • I was wondering if anyone has heard anything, good or bad about The Rensselaer Program of Church Music and Liturgy, located at Saint Joseph's College, Rensselaer, Indiana. I am just looking for more information about them. It would be great to hear from anyone out there. Thanks!
  • G
    Are you asking about regular, during-the-year-degree-work, or the Liturgical Institute, and its "Intensives"?

I have gone to what we jokingly called "chant camp" there twice, in the early summer. (And the two experiences were vastly different.)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • OlbashOlbash
    After going to the chant institute in the summer of 2001, I returned for the following four summers to complete my Master's Degree. The program has changed a great deal over the past few years, mostly for the better. It is certainly a great value, and the most of the faculty members are extraordinarily generous with their time to work on special projects. Feel free to contact me with specific questions at olbash@post.harvard.edu
  • I am asking about the Summer Masters program. I was just looking for more information
  • They seem to be to cathedral and diocessan music directors what the North American College is to bishops: a factory for creating them.
  • Tactus
    As they used to say on one of my favorite childhood TV shows, "Danger, Danger Will Robinson!"
    They give somewhat smirking lip service to chant in the Liturgy but you will never actually hear it at any of the Masses/prayer services during the month long summer term. This is a flexible seating, pop liturgy kinda place. If you simply want a piece of paper and can grit your teeth for an entire month for 4 years (I couldn't) then its an affordable alternative to full time study.
  • That is what I was afraid of. I was looking at the program, I am a huge proponent for chant in the liturgy and sacred polyphony, and am almost totally against 'modern' church music. So, for four summers I might be able to grit my teeth. I wonder how they would react to someone who wants to use chant and polyphony. Would they be academics and put up with it, or would they be totally against it?
  • Tactus
    Feel free to email me at gregorianchantinakron@yahoo.com and we can discuss it off forum.
  • I don't know the program specifically.

But who cares if you want chant and polyphony and the professors don't? If you go there, take the classes, which consist of organ/choral conducting study, studying the documents, etc. et al, don't you think you would benefit immensely?

So what if you come away from it and say "Well, my liturgy professor claimed in light of this or that Vatican II document that chant isn't necessary, but I read it differently?" Why are you so afraid of hearing a viewpoint contrary to yours?

As long as they aren't outright teaching hearesy, why not go, get the degree (which will look nice to a potential employer), and then go get a great job in a church that appreciates good music and wants to hear chant and polyphony?
  • music123
    A good friend of mine is in the middle of their masters program right now, and I am seriously considering starting their Diploma in Pastoral Liturgy program this coming summer, since I already have a masters in music. For me, I think part of the appeal is that they actually do read the liturgical documents in detail. Of course, I could be reading them seriously on my own, but I find that often the best way for me to learn is in a classroom.... If you email me (click on my name) I can put you in touch with my friend. In any case, she and I both like chant a lot, so you wouldn't be the only one there, anyway!