A stroke of genius: the Hymn-Haw!!!!!!
  • AOZ
    Sarah Haywood, who many of you may remember from the Colloquium, called me today to share some exciting news. She staged (I have to use that word) the first ever "Hymn-Haw." what is it? What was it? Read, below, details in the flyer she sent around - what, where, when, and some ground rules. What a fabulous way to get people interested in sacred music! And with the new hymn resources on Musica Sacra, what's not to love? I can see Hymn-Haws taking place all over this land during the long winter months to come. Best of all, Sarah has promised to send me her own review of the festivities, including images and RECORDINGS!!!!

Anyway, here's how she got it started:

Dear Friends!

I am pleased to announce our inaugural Hymn-Haw! The Holy Family Schola is hosting a rehearsal of Polyphonic Sacred Hymns followed by a fellowship potluck!

This is open to anyone that likes to sing, but since space is limited, we do need you to RSVP by Friday, November 20Th.

Here's the point: To gather together and work on learning sacred hymns/motets in parts while enjoying one anothers company!

Here's what you do: RSVP as space is limited.

Here's what you bring: 30 copies of your favorite Sacred Hymn in Latin or English, one copy of the accompaniment if it's not on the same page as the choral parts, your singing voice, a great big smile and a potluck dish to share.

When and Where to go: Arrive with your copies and dish at Holy Family church in Denver (4377 Utica St., Denver CO 80212) and meet in the PARISH CENTER (directly south of the church) at 1:30pm on Sunday, NOVEMBER 22, 2009. We will sing from 2-4 pm and eat from 4-5ish pm.

The rehearsal will be intense so we can learn as much as we can in the time we have, then we will enjoy dinner together! So be prepared for a musical workout, with the reward to follow :-) (Don't let this note scare you, just psyche you up for a fast, fun time!).

We are hoping for a reasonable balanced choir (Soprano's Alto's Tenor's and Bass/Baritone's. If you don't know what section you best fit in, that''s okay too!

When you RSVP, please let me know which hymn you plan on bringing and which section you are most comfortable singing in (Sop. Alt. Ten. Bas.).

I look forward to hearing from you!

HOUSEKEEPING:

Feel free to pass this e-mail on to your friends :)

Selected hymns are subject to approval by the directors.

Because of the time constraint, we will not be able to sing every hymn that is brought, but we will fit as many in as we can.
    The copies will be used at future Hymn-Haw rehearsals.

If your whole family is coming, they don't ALL have to bring hymns unless they want to.

If you don't like to sing, but your spouse or best friend is coming, let me know, because I will need a couple of helpers for the pot-luck side of things.

Please refrain from bringing any secular tunes as they are not the focus of this gathering. Some examples of 'Sacred Music' are:

Ave Verum by Mozart
    Panis Angelicus
    Now Thank We All Our God
    The King of Love my Shepherd Is
    Etc.

Thank you for your interest in Hymn-Haw!
  • CharlesW
    It sounds like a lot of fun and could be a way to pick up some new singers.

The only thing we have had is a tacky anthem party. Everyone brings copies of the worst anthem in their collection, and we all sing it.
  • AOZ
    One thing that Sarah mentioned in our conversation on the phone was that it was so nice to rehearse the music - really learn it, work on it together, without the pressure of the liturgy or other time constraints. Just pure joy in the music and fellowship.