National Catholic Youth Choir - accepting applications for 2008
  • I am writing about the National Catholic Youth Choir and inviting you to help me spread the word about this wonderful opportunity of music and faith for young people you know.

The National Catholic Youth Choir is for Roman Catholic youth entering 10th-12th grade. The summer camp includes:
    •intensive choir rehearsal with Dr. Axel Theimer;
    •repertoire–based classes in religion, music theory, and music history;
    •daily worship and prayer (Mass, monastic Liturgy of the Hours, Rosary, Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament);
    •cantor training;
    •sports and recreation; and
    •out-of-state tour of concerts and liturgies.

Youth who have participated in the past have found NCYC to be a very powerful and formative experience. The choir sings music of various Christian traditions, ranging from medieval Gregorian chant to Renaissance polyphony twentieth century music commissioned by the choir. The primary focus of the choir is liturgical, and the choir seeks to implement the directive of Vatican Council II that the “treasury of sacred music” be preserved and fostered in the modern liturgy.The theme for this coming summer is "Dona Nobis Pacem".

Please share the National Catholic Youth Choir with families and youth who might be interested in the NCYC. Our web site is CatholicYouthChoir.org and all of the application materials are available online. Perhaps you know of qualified young people in your cathedral music program. Tell them that the due date for application materials is March 31.

Thank you!
  • Jscola30
    I would have loved to have done this 10 or so years back. I have 2 of your cds and they are wonderful. I highly encourage this organization!
  • Applications for the National Catholic Youth Choir 2008 season "Dona Nobis Pacem" are due postmarked March 31, 2008.

Church musicians, please download application and recommendation forms from our web site, at http://www.CatholicYouthChoir.org and have the youth singers in your parish complete them. Contact us at ncyc@csbsju.edu with any questions.

Happy Easter!