Pittsburgh plans revealed
  • AOZ
    The Colloquium page on the website was updated today. See for yourself. I think you'll be pleased.
  • JamJam
    Whoa, I'm actually going to be only 45 minutes from Pittsburgh at that time!

Do the 250 slots fill up really fast?
  • mjballoumjballou
    Wow! What a cast of luminaries for faculty, what a cool-looking campus, what riches are promised! I'll be sending my registration today.
  • I'm registered! I'm so excited about the Colloquium, and I'm praying that I don't have another surprise hospitalization to ruin my plans.
  • miacoyne
    Registered.
    I'm so glad you are coming Guadalupe.
    And thank you for all the hard work , AOZ. This looks wonderful.
  • AOZ
    Jam -

Looks like we are going to be filling up very quickly. Record number today already!

And Mia, thank YOU and everyone for coming and making the Colloquium an exciting and happy place to be.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Will R. Chonak be designing a new line of Colloquium wear? Mia and I will need to know.
  • AOZ
    Ummm, Mary Jane, we might need to make it clear to newer forum members that Colloquium wear is different from praise wear.
  • I hope that there's not a pea under my mattress.
  • AOZ
    I'll make sure there is!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Colloquium wear is distinguished by its elegant incorporation of neumatic notation, tasteful colors, and excellent font choices, enabling the wearer to be "an apostle of chant" in all circumstances. No tacky graphics, no punning slogans.
  • miacoyne
    I think it's neat. I wear it to schola practices. I hope they also have onion rings that Mary jane missed last year?
  • Kathy
    ahem. Mary Jane cares comparatively little for onion rings. That is MY specialty.
  • miacoyne
    Ooop, I forgot. It was you, Kathy. But I know there was something Mary Jane missed. I hope MJ gets to stay for the whole week this time. If they don't serve onion rings, can we go to a 'pub,' ladies? I can't wait. How many months left until the Musical Heaven?
    (Two of my schola already signed up.)
  • miacoyne
    I see Dr. Edward Schaefer is coming! I enjoyed reading his book. I have to remember to bring his book to get an autograph. But I don't see Dr. Mahrt's name in the chant rehearsal schedule?
  • chonakchonak
    "no punning slogans"? Well, we may have to offer punning and non-punning motifs. :-)
  • JamJam
    If you don't register for one of the 250 slots, are there still things that the general public can attend?
  • chonakchonak
    The Masses are always open.
  • Praise wear! HA HA HA!
    I'm so relieved that neumes and spandex don't mix.
    AOZ, God love you!
  • mjballoumjballou
    Oddly enough, it was the broccoli. The prior year, the dining room had mountains of it at every meal. And yes, I did snag one of those onion rings on their brief appearance. Of course, Kathy could bring along a can of those evil little things that go on top of the dread green-bean/mushroom soup dish.

Leaving all levity aside, I'm delighted with the expansion of the faculty - all our favorites and some new as well. And I won't allow my brides to interfere with the Colloquium.
  • I'm registered and excited about attending my second colloquium. I'm also going to encourage my schola members to come.

Am working with a speech pathologist (just started) and hoping that by next summer my vocal woes will have resolved and I will once again sing alto 1 rather than tenor 1.
  • We may have to organize separate sections: NPS for Non-Punning Shirts and PPS for Possibly-Punning Shirts.
    And we must refer to them as NPS and PPS, especially when around people who might be new to CMAA.
    Our meetings in the past have been awfully friendly and supportive.
    This is not the atmosphere that many other church music organizations cultivate.
    Can we risk being separate from the spirit of the age?
  • Kathy
    No, you're right, Daniel. Let's develop some strife and competition ;-)
  • JennyJenny
    Hey AOZ- I wasn't the first one registered this time! I'm practically tardy ;)
  • AOZ
    Jenny - I knew you'd come through in the first 48 hrs.
  • JennyJenny
    Once on the waiting list, shame on you; twice on the waiting list, shame on me!
  • Looking at the 'Play List' I see we're still attributing 'Lord for thy tender mercies' sake" to Richard Farrant. John Hillis. Of course, I always think of Richard Farrant first. We had a long discussion of this on a thread last summer.
    Donna
  • One other thing about play list-- And Gosh, I don't want to sound critical, I loved the Colloquium last summer, and I am planning on coming to P'burgh. I've been singing the Schubert 'Mass in G" for a zillion years, and prolly lots of others on this site have too. Was hoping for something a little less well-known. On the other hand, there are other choices . I just enjoyed singing under Horst Buchholz
    (Not a zillion, but I'm not saying just how many)
    Donna
  • matthewjmatthewj
    How would this shindig work for someone with a less-than-stellar singing voice, but excellent chant-reading abilities?
  • 'All are welcome' to quote one of the more awful communion hymns in Ritualsong.
    Donna
  • Interesting comment about Schubert. We've never done it at the Colloq.
  • JDE
    We sang it in the second-string chorus (i.e. the one with the guitar majors) at my university. It is lovely and tuneful.

Unfortunately it requires some re-engineering to fit in all the words. But the others-- the A flat and the E flat come to mind -- are just as nice and have less status/baggage as chestnuts of the repertoire.

Maybe next year we can sing the Rossini Petite Messe Solenelle? It's got a killer harmonium part.
  • Donnaswan: "All are welcome" was called out by name by Bp. Morlino of Madison, WI in his All Saints Day homily: The Communion of Saints. (3:30–5:35)
  • Oops- I was thinking of a different hymn. I just looked up 'll are welcome'-It's a Marty Haugen setting in Ritualsong, not particlarly communion. I think we used it for Chrism Mass a couple of years ago.
    And really, I like the Schubert- it's pretty standard repertoire in the choral world. I would think most sacred music schools- like St.Olafs, Concordia,Westminster do it pretty often. That's where I learned it, as a freshman.
    Donna
  • G
    Matthewj this shindig is MADE for you.

Many choices, opportunities, I have been in CMAA choirs with non-readers, non-singers...the excellence of the liturgical music can be read as a testament to the members' devotion and the directors' skill, not the particular flaps of tissue the Almighty inserted in anyone's throat.

Take a look at the remarkable Requiem setting from last year's (is that PDF still on line, anyone?) --the vocal demands were very slight yet many people, (not just those of us who were in the choir,) thought it was one of the musical highlights of the colloquium.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • mjballoumjballou
    Dear matthewj,
    Do come. It's a great place to sing choral works without being a "soloist-level" voice. And you can learn so much about chant. Not only in the workshops, but at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • Kathy
    Plus you get to meet the nicest people, such as G and MJ and many other initials. Plus AOZ talks like a character from a film which no one has seen but everyone would love to have written...
  • mjballoumjballou
    Meeting initials is always fun.
  • G
    "All are welcome" was called out by name by Bp. Morlino of Madison, WI in his All Saints Day homily: The Communion of Saints. (3:30–5:35)

Could you give a synopsis?
    My monitor is made of papyrus, my computer is powered by gerbils running in a wheel, and i have dial-up so I never listen to or watch anything.

• Kathy
    See this
  • miacoyne
    Thank you Kathy. This is excellent. I'm so glad many US bishops are paying attention to what we sing.
  • chonakchonak
    The song in that homily is Tom Conry's "Anthem". It's not "All are welcome", but it's problematic too.

Here's an old web page about several debatable songs.
  • G
    I'm so relieved that neumes and spandex don't mix.

Patently, your eyes did not have the opportunity to feast upon the glory that was me, resplendent in the souvenir shirt a friend gave me from the cathedral in Toledo, Spain.

(On second thought, or perhaps you DID, and that was a dig at my sartorial escapades.... oh well.:o))

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • G
    Thanks all, I had read that in the day, though perhaps His Excellency had given another barn-burner of a homily.