Litany of the Saints for All Saints Day
  • soli
    Our Schola would like to sing the Litany of the Saints for All Saints' Day. I was wondering when this was appropriate- as a prelude, or during the liturgy? When?

Thank you for your help.
  • At Holy Ghost Church in Denver, we will doing the Latin form from the Graduale Romanum during Offertory. We have prepared a booklet for the congregation that (hopefully) will allow (and encourage) their participation.
  • chonakchonak
    Would it be possible to have Exposition immediately after the dismissal at Mass, sing the Litany, and then offer Benediction?
  • BGP
    after the offertory or communion chants (If you are currently using them) to extend them If you know their will be enough time? is a possibility, though I think that after Mass would be best. I like chonaks Idea. My schola is singing 'christus vincient' with lots of added saints names after the offertory chant.
  • WJA
    >Would it be possible to have Exposition immediately after the dismissal at Mass, sing the Litany, and then offer Benediction?<<br />
    It is definitely acceptable to have exposition, adoration, and benediction following the Mass. That's what happens on Corpus Christi, except of course a procession occurs between the exposition and benediction. ("I went to a Eucharistic Adoration and a Procession broke out!")

I think singing the litany during adoration directly after Mass is the best suggestion I've heard for using the litany of the saints on All Saints.

I've seen it suggested to sing the litany as the general intercession, but I've seen seemingly reasonable arguments against that (basically, the general intercessions are made directly to God, not through the saints).

I've also seen it suggested to sing the litany in lieu of a proper (as an "alius cantus aptus"). While a litany would be better than a lot of what gets sung as an "alius cantus aptus," it still doesn't seem quite right as a replacement for a proper, because while, in one sense, all songs in the liturgy are supposed to be "sung prayer," a litany is an express, direct, act of prayer in a way that a proper or some other song is not -- though I'm open to correction and persuasion otherwise.
  • soli
    Thank you for all your responses.

I like the idea of having Adoration and singing the litany immediately following Mass, but I don't think that it will be possible.

We sing the Communion chant (with psalm verses), and usually that takes up the entire time for Commion.

Offertory is a possibility.

Thank you again.
  • marajoymarajoy
    My (wonderful) pastor is very adamant that the Litany is NOT appropriate on All Saints, since this particular feast commemorates all of the *unknown* Saints, but the litany is addressing all of the *known* Saints, who already have their own feast days.
  • This is the solemnity of all saints, named and unnamed. The solemn litany IS appropriate, either as the entrance rite or as the prayer of the faithful. See the Ceremonial of Bishops, §261.

The most solemn form of this procession is when the cantors, assembly, the presider, and other ministers can sing the litany as they process from another place into the church; when the litany concludes, the presider leads all
    in the opening prayer of the Mass. The Liturgy of the Word follows. It is appropriate to enter the names of the patron saints of the parish and also to insert particular prayers for urgent church, world, and local needs in the appropriate places in the litany.
  • WJA
    This is the solemnity of all saints, named and unnamed. The solemn litany IS appropriate, either as the entrance rite or as the prayer of the faithful. See the Ceremonial of Bishops, §261.

I read the cited passage and it only deals with Lent. Is there a more general authority that allows one to begin any Mass, or at least a Mass on a Solemnity, with a solemn procession (and Litany) in lieu of the introit?

As for the prayers of the faithful, as I mentioned above, I've heard good arguments for and against using the litany, I just haven't seen any authority cited for or against. Is there one, or is this just a matter of custom?

It's too late for our parish to use the litany this year, but I'd like to use it next year if possible and would like to know all appropriate options.
  • Kathy
    My gut feeling is that singing the Litany is somewhat too-literal on All Saints Day. It seems somewhat theatrical and contrived. Usually we pray the Litany on behalf of persons, such as baptismal candidates or ordinandi. On All Saints Day there aren't those focused intentions.

Just my feeling. I could be way off base about this.

My preference would be for Christus Vincit, Salve Regina, Cantate Domino, or some other song of praise. The Te Deum would be great, or even the Hallelujah Chorus.
  • francis
    We did it as the prayer of the faithful
  • eft94530eft94530
    Paul F Ford,

The most solemn form [...] in the litany.

Is this paragraph your insights on the matter,
    or is the paragraph an exact reproduction of all of CB 261?

(If a reproduction, please edit your post above
    and "blockquote" the text so future views will enjoy this clarity of source.)
  • CharlesW
    I didn't use it, but then, I didn't think to use it either. Maybe next time.
  • bsven
    For All saints, ER, we used the Litany of the Saints in lieu of the entraonce hymn. in Lain, followed by the Asperges,tthe Kyrie and
    gloria, with the priest's permission. Thank you, Paul Ford, for your validation of this, as I wasn't quite sure.