PBEH Discussion: New Hymns Submissions
  • As we get closer to the publication of this new hymnal, there has been little provided as far as new hymn submissions.

In looking over hymnals of the past, many new hymns were by the editor. In the case of The English Hymnal of 1906 that was a very good thing, since RVW was the editor. Possibly this makes sense, since only someone really interested in hymns would undertake such a job.

And, I had planned to submit two or three myself, then withdrew them, thinking that it might not be fair to do so, since I am involved on one end of it. Then Vincent Uher sent me some texts, so that changed my mind I am quite willing to submit them with my tunes.

But we need more. Let's not let this hymnal be full of music from the past, but rather let us include music and texts of today and show what kind of strength can come from them and more in the future.
  • francis
    Noel:

I would be very interested to introduce hymns (I already sent in a few, did you get them?). I suggest that anyone who is interested to do so would state their intention on this thread so that you get a good idea of the level of interest.
  • JL
    I have a few I would like to submit, but my files (which are Sibelius anyway) are on another computer that is not particularly accessible to me at the moment. Now that the request has been put forth, though, I will try a little harder to rustle them up and send them in.
  • francis
    Wow

I thought we would have more than this of course not all could be posting a notice. Noel?
  • I am interested. Two slight problems for me.

1) I really haven't composed any hymns, although I guess I could try. What I do a lot of is pair good texts with good tunes, and tunes that can be reused often. It seems that most of Fathers Faber, Caswall, and Newman wrote so many texts, but the are in English hymnals with tunes that are totally unfamiliar to most Catholics today. I think inclusion of just about all of these very Catholic texts is important, but we need to make sure they are accessible.

2) I'm waiting to get my broken computer back in service. Finale is on it, along with all my hymn files to date. If that computer is a goner, then I will need to get a new one, and purchase Finale anew.
  • Chrism
    If people aren't feeling too creative they can always try setting Caswall texts to public domain melodies.

Not sure if that would merit an "arr." recognition.
  • francis
    Wow

point me to texts - I have many tunes without words
  • Francis and Steve...you may wish to collaborate with a swap...
  • Chrism
    Here is one edition of Caswall's Lyra Catholica.