Need advice on mass setting
  • Hello,

I am a relatively new Catholic Music Director. Since I started last year, I have introduced the use of the Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei at our masses. I currently use the Jubilate Deo Setting. Our "Worship Committee" has asked for a more "melodious" version. So would you have any suggestions for a more "melodious" version that is relatively easy to learn?

Clare
  • Donnaswan
    Are you looking for Latin Ordinaries?

Donna
  • chonakchonak
    You can download the "Gregorian Missal" book in PDF from the musicasacra.com home page, and look among the options there, starting at page 75. Kyrie XII has an easy melody, and Gloria XV is easy for congregations to pick up. Congratulations on introducing plainchant to your parish!
  • miacoyne
    You could also listen to some of them here.

http://antoinedanielmass.org/ordinaries/
  • yes, i am looking for Latin ordinaries
  • Just curious: are you using them accompanied or not? While I prefer organ accompaniment on chant, I also consider it useful for getting people used to chanting as a group, large or small. It might not actually be the melodiousness of the music, but that they're used to the organ supporting what they are singing.
  • dad29
    The overwhelming "crowd favorite" Chant ordinary is Mass VIII. Chant aficiandos look down their nose at it, but congregations love it.
  • gregpgregp
    Clare, welcome and good luck. I only hope that by "melodious" they are not attempting to move you down the road to "malodorous" (e.g., "Alle, alle, alle; loo-ooo-ya!")
  • incantuincantu
    Second dad29. This is probably what they mean by "melodious," assuming the committee are the "I don't know much, but I know what I like" type.
  • Really funny comments. I can tell we are all in similar situations. Yes the committee is the "I don't know much, but I know what I like" [and its not chant or Latin] type. We do generally use an organ.