Christmas music for concert
  • Heath
    In the midst of choosing music for my choir for our early-December Xmas concert. I think we'll be doing Tavener's "The Lamb" and I'd like to pick a contrasting piece to complement it.

I have a fine choir this year (sopranos that can sight-read! Woo-hoo!), as well as some very good instrumentalists to draw from (string quartet, flute, oboe, brass): any suggestions? Preferably something accompanied (organ) with some instrumental support . . .
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    How about John Gardner's setting of "Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day"? It calls for tambourine and side drum and is quite jaunty. It's also quite tonal and repeats, so once a verse is learned most of the work is done. It can be very effectively accompanied on organ, but requires an organist with really solid rhythm, and has to be adapted slightly for the lower notes in the left hand.
  • In the moderately difficult modern line, I would highly recommend either of Ned Rorem's Christmas motets, "O Magnum Mysterium" or "The Oxen"; the latter would be an especially good pairing with the Tavener.