Organ recital---including music by Kevin Allen
  • Lawrence
    Dear friends,

This coming Sunday, October 18th, I'll be playing the dedication recital for the new organ at Holy Spirit Lutheran Church in Mountville, PA, near Lancaster, PA. The recital begins at 4pm; the church is situated at 3131 Columbia Ave (PA 462), near the intersection of Rte. 462 and Centerville Rd. I know it's a busy time of year, but if any of you can make it I would be so happy to see you.

The organ has been assembled by R.J. Brunner of Silver Spring, PA and has a wonderful sound.

The program is as follows:

Phoenix Processional Dan Locklair (b. 1949)

Three chant pieces:
    Ave Verum Corpus Kevin Allen (b. 1964)

Prelude sur l'Introit de l'Epiphanie Maurice Durufle (1982-86)

Offertoire from Hommage a Frescobaldi Jean Langlais (1907-91)

Prelude in D, BuxWV139 Dietrich Buxtehude (1637-1707)

Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, BWV542 J.S. Bach (1685-1750)

--Intermission--

Festive Proclamation Samuel Adler (b. 1928)

Three chorale preludes:

O Welt, ich muss dich lassen Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

Rockingham Kenneth Leighton (1929-1988)

Ellacombe J. Wayne Kerr (b. 1958)

Berceuse from Pieces de Fantasie Louis Vierne (1870-1937)

Flutes Jean Langlais

Chorale III in A minor Cesar Franck (1822-90)

Notice high proportion of pieces by composers who are still alive, not to mention those who died only in the last quarter century. It seems important to me to be promoting the good work of modern composers. You all know the excellent music of Kevin Allen, of course. But I would also like to single out for discussion the Samuel Adler piece. It was written for the Kennedy Center organ. Though the harmonic approach is decidedly late 20th century, the music nevertheless conveys recognizable ideas: It is language, not babble. In addition, Locklair's Phoenix Processional is quite a stellar piece of music. It was originally written for organ, brass, and percussion; I'll be playing the version for organ alone. Locklair's approach in this piece is fresh and modern but downright tonal.
  • francis
    Lawrence:

Tried to find a recording of the Adler online. No luck. Not even a snippet anywhere. I don't even see it on his own website. If you record the concert, do put up an mp3 so we can hear it.

Thanks.
  • francis
    aha!

I take that back... he had it listed under chamber music.

Festive Proclamation (1995) [4:00]

For Organ

Publisher: Vivace Press

Premiere: William Neil, organ, Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C., November 9-11, 1995.

Intial page here:

http://vivacepress.com/326mus.html
  • Lawrence
    There is a recording of the Adler on Pipedreams that people can listen to for free.
  • francis
    Very interesting work. Can def here the Hindemith influence. I like this much better than some of his other more dissonant pieces that I heard on Rhapsody. Great performance. Good luck with the concert. Do record it if you can. We would all like to hear it even if we can't be there in person.
  • Lawrence
    Alas, I have no recording. It's just one thing too much to manage on my own. There is a recording of me doing the Bach Great g minor floating around on the internet somewhere. I think it was on NLM once. Just thought I'd mention it so that you don't think I'm running away from potential criticism;-)
  • francis
    Anyone who plays Bach on the organ this day and age AND is a Catholic deserves lauds. 'Tis a rare breed, my friend. Godspeed to your feet!
  • francis
    Lawrence

How was the concert?