My parish is continuing to learn more Latin to include in the Mass. Starting in Advent, we will add the Pater Noster and already chant the Kyrie, Sanctus, Memorial Acclamation, and Agnus Dei. During the summer months, I thought that our children would benefit from having some kind of sacred music summer camp, where they learn different chants in Latin. What they learn will depend on their age and their level of musical experience. I'm thinking of having different "choirs," where each choir learns certain pieces, and the children could continue in the same choir for the next year or move up to learn more.
I want some advice on what should be included. I have looked at the Jubilate Deo document and plan to include chants from that document, but what else do you recommend? Also, I would be interested in some polyphony for the older students.
Here are a couple folios of relatively straightforward polyphony that I've posted here before — one is a collection I put together of simple motets mostly in four voices, and the other is a collection of pieces for three voices, primarily edited by Peter Kwasniewski.
Holy Family in Saint Louis Park, MN, just put on a rather successful Youth Choir camp this summer. You can DM me if you'd like details.
The hit of the summer was Dyson's Magnificat in C Minor. Unison and so utterly catchy--it was the other end of the spectrum from Missa IX, which they learned for the feast of the Assumption at the end of the week.
Polyphony: O bone Iesu by Loyset Compère [CPDL]. It's not only a mildly challenging entry into polyphony, but the final text "Lord, let me know my end" encourages discernment of one's vocation.
To participate in the discussions on Catholic church music, sign in or register as a forum member, The forum is a project of the Church Music Association of America.