I am putting together an Advent Lessons & Carols program and looking for accessible 2-part motets and carol arrangements for my youth choir. Last year, we did carols straight out of the hymnal, but having grown in numbers and skill, the kids are ready for a challenge. Please share your favorites! English or Latin, accompanied or a cappella.
"Mary walks amid the thorn" can be easily arranged for SA. Here is a very straightforward example from CPDL; I would choose a different ending, though, because to my ears a sixth is not "ending able", but YMMV. A metric English translation (if it is not already in your hymn book) can be found on Wikipedia.
There is also a sacred contrafactum to "Une jeune fillette" (AKA "La Monica"): "Ye sons of men, in earnest prepare your hearts". The original song was the greatest hit in the 16/17th century, and it is still appealing today. The contrafactum is unrelated to the sad original text, of course, but refers to Advent as a time of preparation for the coming Saviour. You can easily add a second voice to the melody and the second part even invites some imitation in the fourth.
Thanks, all, for the suggestions! Maria Walks Amid the Thorn is such a lovely one...I think I have a SSA version from CCwatershed that would adapt nicely. Love a good mashup as well. We do a luscious setting of Lo How a Rose + Of the Father's Love Begotten by William Price following the reading from John 1.
I just tried finding that score by William Price online and cannot find even a trace of it. Can you point me in the right direction? I looked up a recording and it is lovely, and would fit my choir really well.
Remember O Thou Man - Ravenscroft Behold the Lamb- Bouman Advent Message- Malcom Archer Adam Lay ybounden - Warlock or Ireland Prepare Thyself, Zion- Bach Comfort, Comfort Ye My People - Goudimel Ave Maria- Howard or Lindley
@ServiamScores: It is published by St. James Music Press. I add some extra "evermore and evermore"s in canon at the end, as well as SATB plus a descant on the final few measures to great effect.
To participate in the discussions on Catholic church music, sign in or register as a forum member, The forum is a project of the Church Music Association of America.