Cathedral Gradual (Toronto)
  • Does anyone have, or know how to obtain a copy, of the Cathedral Gradual that comes from St. Michael's in Toronto? It contains much of the psalmody of Stephen Somerville, and I have always found his compositions tuneful and singable. I've written to the choir school, but alas, no response.

    (While I have reread his letter concerning ICEL, and discovered some truth, some bias, and just some oddities, it does not change my opinion of his musicianship and his ability to compose a singable and memorable antiphon.)
    3+
  • That project (along with the rest of With Angels and Archangels) is somewhat caught up in ecclesiastical politics. As I understand it, ++Leo doesn't want the Archdiocese of Toronto to compete with / undermine Music for Catholic Worship.

    If you're really interested, I'd reach out to Christopher Ku, one of the organists at St. Mike's and a key figure in the development of WAA. You could also try reaching out to St. Augustine's Seminary, which also uses WAA.

    (BTW, WAA also includes updated versions of two Mass settings from CBWII: Fr. Somerville's Mass of the Good Shepherd and Victor Togni's Parish Mass.)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Posts: 2,688
    I’d love to see the revised Somerville Mass of the Good Shepherd if anyone has access.
  • @matthewj: I have ... very unofficial review copies of the revised versions of both Masses, but I'm understandably reluctant to post them on a public forum. The revisions were done by Dr. Jerzy Cichocki, who is now the director of music at St. Augustine's Seminary. I'd reach out to him directly.
  • roy2
    Posts: 19
    We bought a set of the With Angels and Archangels hymnals for our parish (in Toronto) a few years ago (2023?) by contacting the cathedral parish office: https://www.stmichaelscathedral.com/contact-us/
  • novusgordo
    Posts: 55
    @roy2: Was this before or after ++Collins left the Archdiocese?
  • roy2
    Posts: 19
    @novusgordo: Right at the handover. We started using the new hymnals Holy Week 2023 and Archbishop Leo was installed on the Solemnity of the Annunciation that year.
  • canadashcanadash
    Posts: 1,570
    Caught up? I think it is dead. I like the hymnal (we have it) but it's such a nuisance not to have a choral edition!
  • novusgordo
    Posts: 55
    @canadash: Last I heard, ++Leo had given Drs. Ku and Cichocki permission to finish the choir/organ edition. Since WAA is used both at the Cathedral and at St. Augustine’s Seminary, the lack of same is a real headache.

    (Also: I envy you and @roy2 so, so much right now.)
  • mikevp
    Posts: 20
    As far as I know the cathedral gift shop is still selling the melody edition available in the pews.

    Also worth noting that the Toronto Star just ran an article this week about how the choir school is a revolving door of people because the Executive Director is difficult; I'd imagine that situation makes it impossible to get anything done on the hymnal.
  • Ronn62353
    Posts: 28
    Canadash, I tried responding to your e mail through musicasacra, but it won't let me.I'll take whatever you can give me; especially interested in "Here am I Lord, I come to do your will."