Replacement for over-used tunes?
  • PLTT
    Posts: 193
    I deliberately made the title more generic, as there are several hymn tunes Im looking to replace.

    But to start - the only 76.76 D tunes that I end up using are ELLACOMBE (aka The Day of Resurrection) and ST. THEODULPH (aka All glory, laud and honour). I'd like to find some easy but similarly festive replacements. I tried KING'S LYNN, but that did not work too well for the congregation, despite near continuous programming (and some people complained it sounded like a country fair). AURELIA is a little sober and staid......
  • MatthewRoth
    Posts: 3,840
    I love AURELIA though. Our people seem to like it too.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Aurelia is great when done at proper tempo.

    I never thought St.Theodulph was over-used. It’s only used once a year here for Palm Sunday.
    Thanked by 2Liam davido
  • Liam
    Posts: 5,719
    MUNICH is a solid 76.76.D tune.

    https://hymnary.org/page/fetch/PHLG2023/408/high
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • LLANGLOFFAN, in G minor (or F minor). In many hymnals.
    The major key variant of it: Llanfyllin (Hymnal 1940, No. 570) https://hymnary.org/hymn/HPEC1940/page/652
  • davido
    Posts: 1,252
    Unless you are using them for multiple texts, those tunes don’t need replacing. They should be in any parishes repertoire, and congregations don’t tire of tunes very quickly
  • MatthewRoth
    Posts: 3,840
    Ha. Well. I agree personally. The other consideration is that 76.76D is just a tough meter.

    I use both ELLACOMBE and AURELIA for multiple texts (The Day of Resurrection & I sing the mighty power of God; Jerusalem the Golden, For all thy saints in warfare, The Church’s One Foundation). More than three is pushing it, I think, but we sing a given text relatively infrequently, and we don’t have organ for at least a month, but even then, anything terribly modern, chromatic, or complicated (relatively speaking) is hard. Even with organ we couldn’t hack WESTMINSTER ABBEY. I know, you can say that REQENT SQUARE is a bit Christmasy, and it is used for a carol/Christmas hymn and at the Purification as well (Marier ingeniously pairs In his temple now behold him to LAUDA ANIMA) but it’s easier if you have never done the text before and won’t for a while.
  • Even with organ we couldn’t hack WESTMINSTER ABBEY.

    Really? That’s too bad. It’s a great stately hymn for processing when played maestoso and the aisle is extra long.
  • MatthewRoth
    Posts: 3,840
    Well you see our aisle is not extra short but it isn’t extra long. We have an enthusiastic congregation so it wasn’t like they’re totally timid.
  • 7676D we use:
    (NB: a few are seasonal and tied to a specific text, but most of them I pair multiple texts)

    Ellacombe
    Aurelia
    Passion Chorale
    Tempus Adest Floridum
    Llangloffan
    Gaudeamus Pariter
    St. Theodulph
    King's Lynn
    Forest Green
    Royal Oak
    St. Christopher
    St. Michael's
    Cradle Song
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Tempus Adest Floridum


    This is a good one.
  • MatthewRoth
    Posts: 3,840
    Llangloffan will be nice when the organ comes back especially. I have a few texts that could go with that to follow my rule of 2-3 per tune except for something that’s too tied to one text.

    Moville, Thornbury, and Lancashire as also in that meter.