I have reviewed some other threads on the topic of the Magnificat, but cannot find this. I am looking for the Magnificat in English (current LoTH translation), set to the traditional mode 8 tone. Can anyone assist? (Chant notation preferred but modern can work).
I just saw this recently and hoped I could contribute. I would approach the division of the text a bit differently than Weber's version above.
When one desires to apply Latin Gregorian psalm tones on to English, there are problems that arise because of the differences of accentual patterns in the languages. The most direct and literal way used by a number of editors is to apply the tone exactly as it appears in the Latin on to English. This has the benefit of preserving the original melody with its accentual pattern most exactly, but it can sound a bit clunky in some places. Another approach is to adjust the melody a little bit so as to fit English accentuation better. This adds a degree of separation from the original, but allows for greater ease of flow in the new language, and is probably more intuitive to singers, especially at sight.
I've attached 2 versions. One is with the Latin tone VIII G applied literally. The second is according to Adam Bartlett's adapted VIII G, which I find to be excellent in that it preserves the spirit of the original while flowing better in English. The intonation formula is added on each line, as is customary in the Office Gospel Canticles, and the flex movement is also added. The user can choose which version is preferable. I believe that Mr. Bartlett's tones are Creative Commons.
To participate in the discussions on Catholic church music, sign in or register as a forum member, The forum is a project of the Church Music Association of America.