What hymn is this (Corpus Christi Video) please...
  • Kathy
    [deleted]
  • I've seen it as "Evangelists". It's one of very few tunes in 887.887. meter to which you can sing the Corpus Christi Sequence "Lauda Sion", at least until the last few verses which change to 8887 and the 88887. There are a number of minor variations in the melody from hymnal to hymnal.
  • The tune is called "Cobb" and can be found in the Hymnal 1940. The number is 134.

We sing this tune to the St. Stephen's Day hymn for example. I could not make out their words, but perhaps it was "Come, pure hearts, in sweetest measure" translated from Latin by Robert Campbell (another convert from Anglicanism).

As Steve noted above we also sing the tune "Evangelists" (which also is known by a German name... perhaps "Ach, Herr") to these texts from time to time.

I think they are singing a translation of Lauda, Syon. In one of the translations we would use two hymn tunes for the translation because of the change in metre. The video ended before I could hear the second tune, but with one note I am trying to remember.

I wonder how many are left who still wear the St. Stephen's House cassock. Some anglo-catholic Anglican priests from Nashotah House and elsewhere also wore the cassock, and thereby identifying their allegiance to the Catholic wing of the Church of England. The St. Stephen's House cassock was beautifully tailored, and I treasured mine.
  • And the 1940 was leaning against me here on the couch when I read the message! Thanks.
  • I'm also remembering another text of the same metre. Adam of St. Victor 'Plausu Chorus Laetabundo' I don't recall all the words, but it concluded with beautiful words in translation, something like:

Four the wheels which Godhead carry
    On these staves the Ark may tarry
    Four flow Eden's streams again.
    Happy streams, God's gift renewing,
    Man with Sacraments bedewing
    These the nations' life sustain.

Firmly is God's temple grounded
    On this four-square basement founded,
    Ruin ne'er can it betide
    May He in this House delighting
    Dwell with man in bliss uniting
    God and man for aye allied.

To be certain would need to find the hymnary from which it cometh. I suspect 'Songs of Syon' was the book. I suppose today the last line would be rendered "God with us for e'er allied" which of course would be wrong since it is not speaking about us alone but all humanity.