Suggestions for 1st Holy Communion music needed
  • rey
    The Youth choir at my parish which has about 18 people, of which only 4 - 5 can read music, has been tasked to sing for 1st Holy Communion Mass in October. I'm helping out to pick music for the Mass and was hoping I could get ideas on what we could sing from the community here.

It's a significant event for the little ones so I'm hoping we can avoid the "one bread one body" type hymns, especially during communion itself. I'm hoping we could do simple choral works in SATB, or STB (we don't really have altos) which are easy to learn but not pop/ folk like. I'm hoping the music the kids experience that day would be something they remember as sacred and become what church is for them. It'd be great if we could do polyphony but I know that's quite impossible for the choir right now.

thanks in advance!
  • How about Remondi's O Sacrum Convivium?
  • G
    There are Eucharistic words to JESU JOY OF MANS DESIRING in the Hymnal 1940.
    It sounds quite lovely sung unison, (or in two parts,) and is remarkably easy as, of course, the instrumentalists do all the work.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • At risk of being cliche...

There are a number of easy 2-part or even unison children's choir arrangements of the Mozart "Ave Verum Corpus"... did this last year at First Communion. Are you thinking necessarily Latin? Adoro Te Devote of course is an easy to do chant for any age, or the "LAMBILLOTTE" setting of Panis Angelicus.

They're a bit corny (OK...a lot corny) but "Jesus, Gentlest Savior" set to the John Stainer tune and "What Happiness Can Equal Mine" are appropriate text for children. They can be found in the '58 St. Basil Hymnal. Not exactly "purists" choices, but these hymns work well for children and are worlds better than "OBOB".
  • rey
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'll certainly look into them and run them by the choir.
    Does any know if the Eucharistic words to Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring is available online?
  • G
    Does any know if the Eucharistic words to Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring is available online?

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c334.html
    Only one verse is in the 1940 Hymnal, and there are some alterations, ( "let us nevermore leave thee," "O, let thine angel chorus cease not...")
    Come with us, O blessèd Jesus,
    with us evermore to be;
    and in leaving now thine altar,
    O let us not leave thee!
    Let thy sweet angel chorus
    not cease their heavenly strain,
    but in us, thy loving children,
    bring peace, good will to men.

Thou art God from everlasting,
    God of God and Light of Light;
    thou art God, thy glory veiling,
    that men may bear the sight.
    Beyond these walls O follow us,
    our daily life to share,
    that in us thy great and glorious light
    may shine forth everywhere.

Thou art man, of Mary Virgin,
    born for us in Bethlehem;
    thou art man, with griefs and sorrows,
    and thorns for a diadem.
    For ever thou art one with us
    our life, our love divine;
    our flesh and blood art thou, Lord;
    and thou hast given us thine.

Born a babe, yet our Creator;
    born a babe, yet God on high:
    born a babe, O Son of David,
    thy kingdom now is nigh.
    Before thy cross victorious
    O make thy foes to fall,
    till the whole world sing Hosanna,
    and own thee Lord of all.

Words: John Henry Hopkins, Jr., 1872;

Music: Werde munter

Meter: 87 87 76 86

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • "Jesus, Jesus, Come To Me" is a very simple and appropriate for First Communion - St. Gregory's Hymnal.
  • I remember doing Casal's EUCHARISTICA with 7/8th graders when I taught public school. That, and his "Nigra sum." I think kids at the Pueri Cantores level might be able to bring that off with some work.