QUESTION: What do these Annotations mean?
  • Hello folks! I was just going through the Graduale Romanum and was wondering what these annotations in the top-right of the chant score refers to?

Thanks! :)
  • I am of the understanding—please correct if it's a misunderstanding—that those annotations denote the earliest known written source of the melody in question (in this case, 11th-13th century). The melody itself may be much older.
    Thanked by 2josephw tomjaw
  • Ah, that was my initial thought as well, but I was unsure. Thanks, Aristotle!
  • That is also my understanding.
  • They are Roman numerals referring to the approximate century of the manuscript upon which the Vatican edition of a particular chant was based—which may or may not be the oldest known manuscript. The century indications should not be understood as the date of composition, which is oftener than not unknown.

See the attachment from Joseph Carroll's An Applied Course in Gregorian Chant. This previous thread might be of interest.

Now, does anyone here know what it means when a second date is given in parentheses, for example the Sanctus of Masses III and VIII?