Other (than those at CPDL) polyphonic settings of the O antiphons?
  • Does anyone know of any?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Erikš Ešenvalds has a setting of "O Emmanuel", it's a modern piece, not classical polyphony, but it is a capella and includes the Gregorian Antiphon (a la Durufle "Ubi Caritas") and a soprano solo. I'm not sure of the voicing, but probably SATB div.
  • At Walsingham -
    These by Willan are sung at matins before the high mass during Advent.
    They may be heard on youtube at Vancouver's Christ Church Cathedral.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Jackson,

Good to hear from you again. Is there a link to the scores?
  • GerardH
    James MacMillan's "O Radiant Dawn" may not be exactly what you're after, but it is excellent
  • GerardH
    Also, imslp looks to have a few. Searching for "O rex gentium" found the following complete sets which I can't see on cpdl:

There may be more.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Pärt's cycle is the one that makes me wish for a bigger choir, and Charpentier seems to have set all 7.

CPDL listings need not be confined to hosted works (see for example Ubi caritas) so consider making to the textpage lists there more complete.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard,

About the Charpentier, I don't really have a Continuo instrument -- the synthesizer can do many things, but I would much rather have a real instrument for accompanying something like that. OTOH, I'm thinking of having my choir learn Elgar's Ave Verum Corpus, and will need someone to help with volume control to make that work well.
  • CGM
    The Willan is here (English).
    The Pärt is here (German).
    Bob Chilcott's setting is here (Latin).
    The spectacular O Oriens by Melissa Dunphy is here (Latin).
    Chant in English adaptation here.
    Melvin Bird's setting is here (English).
  • francis
    CGZ

Continuo on the organ would be absolutely acceptable

What is the link for the Charpentier?
  • Jeffrey Quick
    will need someone to help with volume control

No foot pedal jack?

A fair bit comes up on RISM, but little of it is digitized (though RISM is not always accurate in that regard). In any case, it generally means making one's own edition. But more things need to be made available.
  • Francis, et al.,

https://imslp.org/wiki/Antiennes_O_de_l'Avent,_H.36-43_(Charpentier,_Marc-Antoine)

They really look good, and I might ask my pastor if a cello would be allowed, or a harpsichord (since I know a harpischordist) for Christmas Eve this coming year, before Midnight Mass.

Jeffrey,

There may be one, somewhere, but I've never had access to it. The best I know that I have is the volume lever inconveniently placed and touchy rather than sensitive.

• Peter Hallock wrote some lovely settings. Two levels of difficulty. There are plenty of recordings online.