Our Lady of Guadalupe: Divine Office
  • Does anyone happen to know what the antiphons are for the office of Our Lady of Guadalupe. in the OCO it only gives the Canticles but since its a feast in the United States I would like to make it more festive with proper hymns if they exist. If anyone knows where I could find this I would be grateful.
  • Sister,

I'm looking at the EF, but the Communion antiphon might give you a place to start. It's the text "He has not dealt thus with any other nation".

• Felicia
    Are you looking for texts in English or Latin?

I found some websites in Spanish (text only, no music) that give citations for the Psalms and readings for I and II Vespers, Lauds, and the Office of Readings, if that would help. Here's the one for Lauds:

https://www.oficiodivino.com/laudgua.htm/
    Thanked by 1DCM
  • DCM
    So far as I can tell, the psalm antiphons and hymns all come from the Commons of the Blessed Virgin. The only proper text is the concluding prayer (I think). The hymns from the Commons are:
    Office of Readings: Quem terra, pontus, aethera
    Lauds: O gloriosa Domina
    Vespers: Ave maris stella

Here's a pdf of the Liber Hymnarius if you need music for the hymns:
    https://www.gregorianum.org/images/c/c5/Liber_Hymnarius_(Antiphonale_Romanum_Tomus_Alter)_1983.pdf
  • DCM
    For the psalm antiphons in English, go here (http://www.ibreviary.com/m/opzioni.php), set your date to December 12, click "breviary" on the top bar, and you can then check each of the hours for their antiphons. If you need them in Latin, I don't have any of way of getting those, I'm sorry.
  • Thank you all
  • igneusigneus
    Liturgical texts of the feast for use in the Americas were printed some decades ago in Notitiae. Spanish-only IIRC (which suggests that there was no official Latin version).

EDIT: found it: Notitiae 1999, p. 280-296
    Thanked by 1DCM
  • DCM
    Nice find, igneus. I hope those end up in the new English breviaries.
  • igneusigneus
    Most of the antiphons seem to be taken from the Song of Songs, which gives quite a good chance of finding their Latin counterparts (either exact or at least similar/related enough) in the existing chant repertory.
  • chonakchonak
    In case it might be of any use, the old-rite propers appear with their melodies in the US supplement to the Liber Usualis. You can find it in CMAA's on-line copy of the Liber, at
    https://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/liberusualis.pdf#page=2268
  • igneusigneus
    I was too optimistic, actual results of the search for corresponding Latin antiphons are quite humble.

Morning Prayer:

A1: Quién es esa / Quae est ista

Vespers:

A1: He elegido y santificado / Elegi et sanctificavi
    AMag: Las aguas torrenciales / Aquae multae - shorter text; longer (but still not identical) text here on scan no. 9
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • DCM
    Wow that second version of Aquae multae is a much prettier melody.
  • chonakchonak
    The first version of Aquae multae is a psalm antiphon from the night office, so the brief text and simpler melody are fitting.
  • I dont understand why chanting the office has to be this complicated.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • igneusigneus
    It doesn't have to. If no official proper texts of the feast were published by your diocese/province/order, the right (and uncomplicated) thing to do is really to take everything from the Common, as suggested by @DCM.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The Americas were only placed under her patronage in 1946, and the history of liturgy has been - you might say 'a bit turbulent' since then.
  • Yes, there are always the commons but its always nice to honor one's Patrons with the propers... they are always so beautiful and bring out the mystery being celebrated.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • DCM