Ecce Sacerdos Magnus
  • Help! I heard a choir do a version of Ecce Sacerdos Magnus recently and I have been wondering what it was. After much searching I have come up with nothing. I am attaching an mp3 file with just the clip of the choir singing it with an organ accompaniment. Ignore the sounds of people moving in the church. I do know also that this is the text used for the welcoming of a bishop or the responsory version per cpdl. I also saw that there is an antiphon version but believe that this is not the one after thinking it was Victoria’s setting. If anyone can help me and point me in the right direction that would be great.
  • Ronn62353
    I can't help much on this, but while we're ont he subject, I'm looking for a copy (in ENglish) Of "Behold the Great High Priest" - it was published by GIA in the late 60's (I believe it was originally in Latin) and was contained in one of those little "Confirmation books" that provided all you needed for the liturgy. If it helps, I recall it being in C Major.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @jporenchuk
    I know where to find a version of this, but give me a little time as I’ll be little busy for at least the next couple hours.
  • CGM
    Ronn,

The piece you mention is still available from GIA, here. You can preview the entire score on the site, to ensure that it's what you're looking for.
  • Ronn62353
    thanks, I've got that one, but it's not the one I'm thinking of.all I can remember it was in C Major.
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    @jporenchuk

The version you're looking for can be found in the St. Pius X Hymnal, printed by Angelus Press. I read some of the notes at the beginning and they claimed to have used it with permission from the Willis Music Co. Because it is still under Copyright in the New St. Basil Hymnal.

Did that help?
  • @sdtalley3

I can’t seem to find the St. Pius X Hymnal anywhere. I have one but it doesn’t seem to be the one you refer to. Can you point me towards it?
  • Alternatively, someone could just dm me #235 from the New St. Basil Hymnal.
  • PaxTecum
    I have a copy of Pius X Hymnal at the church, can look for it tomorrow
  • I have the one by Theodore Marier and it doesn’t have it in it. This must not be the one sdtalley3 refers to it.
    @PaxTecum
    I have already found the piece anyway.
    Thanks though
  • PaxTecum
    I also have the St Basil. Will check!

Edit: you found it. Oops!
  • Ronn62353
    im still looking.have Pkiux X, St. Basil and New St. Basil...........and still not the one
  • sdtalley3sdtalley3
    The St. Pius X hymnal I referred to was published by Angelus Press c. 2000, and I believe the hymn in question is number 322 in the service section. I don’t have access to the new St. Basil hymnal at moment to verify what I read in the first few pages and acknowledgements of the the SPX hymnal, I might have a copy of SBH at home somewhere to look as well. I didn’t want to infringe on any copyright laws by snapping pictures of this to post here so if there’s other means about this, please let me know. But listening to the audio clip and having the hymnal on hand, it was definitely a match!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Thanks for all of your help @sdtalley3
    I found it in the New St. Basil Hymnal which I managed to get some access to online.
    Thanked by 1sdtalley3