Chant antiphons for Office of Readings
  • DCM
    I can't find any music, or alternative antiphons with music, for the OoR psalm antiphons for tomorrow. I know the musical situation for the OoR is... less than complete, but what can I use for Psalms 1-3?
  • Simon
    A suggestion for antiphons from the Psalterium Currens:

Ps. 1: In lege Domini
    Ps. 2: Servite Domino in timore
    Ps. 3: Ergo dormivi, et somnun cepi

All three antiphons have their text source in the psalm itself. 1 and 3 are in the oldest (ca. 1000) manuscript for the office repertoire: SG 391/392 also known as the Hartker Antiphonale.

One note: I don't know what "OoR" means. So maybe my response is totally irrelevant.
  • igneusigneus
    You are probably looking for this https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/20256/oco.pdf/p1 - complete LH antiphons according to the 2015 Ordo cantus officii (including repertory of the Office of Readings and even the extended Vigils).
    Thanked by 1DCM
  • DCM
    igneus - Thank you. I have that, and it's a wonderful resource! But I was unable to figure out if the OoR had seasonal antiphons for that Sunday, because it doesn't seem to, even on days when Lauds and Vespers do. (I can't read the Latin rubrics). This past Sunday, lauds & vespers had proper antiphons for the 5th Sunday of Lent, but the OoR's were from Week 1 of the psalter. I didn't know that so I couldn't figure out where to find them.

Simeon - is the Psalterium Currens a resource I can access online?
  • joerg
    The season of Lent doesn't have proper antiphons for the Office of Readings. So for the Sundays of Lent we have the same 3 antiphons as for the Sundays of Ordinary Time:
    1. In lege Domini
    2. Praedicans praeceptum
    3. Tu es gloria
    They are found on p. 550 of the oco.pdf
    Thanked by 1DCM
  • igneusigneus
    The season of Lent doesn't have proper antiphons for the Office of Readings.

In fact no season has proper psalm antiphons for the Office of Readings. If there are proper antiphons for this hour, they are always rather festal than seasonal (i.e. proper to a feast or an octave day, not an ordinary Sunday/ferial). The only exception is the season of Advent, which has a set of three antiphons repeated in the Office of Readings every Advent Sunday.
    Thanked by 1DCM
  • igneusigneus
    I was wrong - Sundays of Easter are second such case.